1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SE at Cherry Hill, NJ

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by FreddiePatek, May 20, 2008.

1. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

is it me, or is there a lot of hiring going on over at Gannett? Seems somewhat out of character

2. BrianGriffin

BrianGriffin Active Member

I've known a few people to get out of the business rather than stay with Gannett and I've known a few to stay at smaller family-owned papers, rather than apply at Gannett.

I wonder if, as a chain, they are experiencing the intersection of high turnover and limited interest.

3. Keystone

Keystone Member

I hear through the grapevine that Gary Silvers from the Bucks County Courier Times is interested in this job. He was recently demoted to ASE when Caulkins merged personnel with Doylestown.

4. formulacola

formulacola Member

Anyone know what happened to Phil Anastasia?

5. jaker23

jaker23 New Member

Phil covers South Jersey high school sports for the Inky now. Only been about a month or so.

6. formulacola

formulacola Member

Thanks for the update. I also feel like an idiot for not Googling him and finding it on the first page.

7. Hoop Time

Hoop Time Member

And you are saying that is different from where you work?

Aside from the editors, that sounds pretty much like the story being told by everybody I talk to in the industry.

Not saying it is a good job, or bad. I don't know the place aside from having read the paper a few times (always seemed to have good Philly pro coverage, as others have mentioned). But most of that was just a state of the industry address. Fewer papers sold mean fewer ads mean fewer people meand find new sources of income means more work for those fortunate enough to at least draw a paycheck that doen't bounce.

Yes, it sucks, but we're not the first industry to take the more with less approach. Welcome to America!

Anyhow, it's worth noting that a gig as an SE at a place that covers major league beats is nothing to sneeze at. That makes up for a some of those negatives.

8. sports scrub

sports scrub Member

maybe do this instead of crapping on the bathroom floor:

9. Jersey_Guy

Jersey_Guy Active Member

Yes, it's ridiculously different from where I work.

Where I work, employees still get overtime (or, if the choose, comp time), nobody gets publically demeaned, we have - get this - enough computers for everyone, free batteries and pens. We've even filled an open position or two lately.

It's paradise, I tell ya.

Or at least what passes for paradise in the newspaper business these days.

Or at least nice enough that there's no open rebellion, let alone employees relieving themselves on the floor.

Seriously, if you think that stuff passes for normal, I'm glad I don't work where you work.

Draft saved Draft deleted