1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SC's road trip

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by sportschick, Jul 20, 2008.

1. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

You wouldn't be bored for long. After all, it's not boring trying to find one's way out of Wyoming. It's called "anxious."

2. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

No, no, he'd get bored.

3. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Why would you leave Wyoming when everything around it is worse?

You do know the real reason it's so windy in Wyoming, right? Nebraska sucks and Utah blows.

4. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Utah was a lot better than Wyoming. At least there was some civilization, and the scenery quickly improved.

Nebraska? At least it has Omaha and Lincoln. I-80 across Wyoming was much worse. I think at least three, maybe four, 18-wheelers cut me off in the left lane because of indecision. The drivers probably weren't Wyoming-based, but it was still poor work on the road.

5. pallister

pallister Guest

Reading "Under the Banner of Heaven," Utah's landscape sounded interesting.

6. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

I'll offer the opposite opinion, with respects to Ms. IJAG.

Drove from Tacoma to Oklahoma City via Crater Lake, Tahoe, Vegas, Canyon, Colorado Springs and Kansas last summer. I was alone for every single mile and was on the interstate a total of about 250 miles over 11 days.

LOVED EVERY FREAKING MINUTE OF IT.

Me, the road, the radio, the tent and steaks on the grill.

Best vacation I've ever been on -- and it was a work trip, going from Ft. Lewis to Ft. Sill.

7. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

How bad of a drive is the scenic route? If it's really tough and you get antsy, you won't enjoy the scenery.

8. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

When Omaha and Lincoln are the high points, that's one shitty state.

9. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Absolutely, without a doubt, go through the more scenic route.

I just did that on a trip myself. Incredible.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Put me down for the interstate-where-you'll-have-access-to-cell-and-services-since-you're-driving-solo club.

Besides, ain't like you've never seen the scenery up there before. It'd be like me driving through the Appalachians. Gorgeous scenery ... that I've been around for years. It won't be THAT memorable.

11. pallister

pallister Guest

It's also not like you're driving on the interstate through Illinois or Indiana. There's still plenty of great scenery driving through the West on a major roadway. And if you feel like getting off the beaten path from time to time, there's no reason you can't.

12. Trey Beamon

Trey Beamon Active Member

I prefer to keep my eyes on the road. I'll save the sightseeing for when I reach my destination.

Draft saved Draft deleted