1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SC's road trip

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by sportschick, Jul 20, 2008.

1. pallister

pallister Guest

I thought the scenery driving through Montana on 90 was incredible, and as a bonus I got to drive 80 miles an hour. Best of both worlds. I will almost always take the interstate because the odds of getting stuck behind some Sunday driver for long, slow stretches on any two-lane road in America are pretty high.

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

No, but that is a fantastically gorgeous stretch of road. I'm not going anywhere near Washington, barring me getting phenomenally lost.

3. Jack_Kerouac

Jack_Kerouac Member

SC, not sure what route specifically you're referring to, but my wife and I once made the drive from Missoula to Boise on 93 through Salmon, Chalis and Stanley, and it was amazing. If that's what you're talking about, I'd highly recommend it.

4. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Take whichever one has cell phone service. And take an Oasis CD and think of Songbird!

5. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

I vote for the interstates.

6. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Could be a fun quote function quote.

And I agree, go pretty out there and easy back.

7. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

If you take the interstate, you get no cheesy things at Christmas. I'm cutting you out of the will.

8. pallister

pallister Guest

Driving through vast expanses, phone access and access to things like gas stations and such is pretty damn important. The scenery on the side roads won't help if there's an emergency and you're stuck in the middle of nowhere with no services available.

9. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I'd take the scenic route.

The money you'd save on gas and the ease of the drive wouldn't compare to the memories you can make on the prettier drive.

10. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Scenic route sounds nice in theory. BUT, if you're flying solo, you probably don't want to be stuck broken down on a desolate stretch of two-lane no matter how pretty it is.

11. Jay Sherman

Jay Sherman Member

I'd go with the longer route. Nothing worse than getting stuck behind a slow-moving car for 30 minutes at a time.

12. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Less traveled, definitely. If all you're going to do is ride and listen to your ipod, go for the better scenery. And get your oil changed before you leave.

Is Stan going?

Draft saved Draft deleted