1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Scrub 1B/LF: I deserve a new start

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by writing irish, May 8, 2008.

1. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Jason Botts, hitting a robust .158 with 18 whiffs in 38 at-bats, cleared waivers yesterday and was assigned to AAA Oklahoma. Botts, drafted in 1999, has done nothing in several stints at the MLB level. Still, he feels that the Rangers organization hasn't given him the opportunity he needs to shine.

www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/baseball/rangers/stories/050808dnsporangbriefs.3c3a231.html?npc

"I think I've been here for a pretty long time and I deserve a fresh start somewhere else," Botts said. "I think there's plenty of examples of people leaving the Texas Rangers and going on to really great things. There could be something huge in my future."

Um, dude. The Rangers have a hole at first base so gaping that two mythological titans could do double-anal in it and still be in no risk of penis-fencing. You have a struggling club with no expectations to win this year and an up-for-grabs job at your position. .158, dude. .964 fielding percentage at first base. Oklahoma. Say hello to Kevin Mench for us.

Any other funny examples of players who just don't get it?

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

This fuckwad was on waivers, and none of the other 29 teams claimed him. End of bitch session.

He's been on a yo-yo between the majors and minors for the last 6 seasons and couldn't stick.

If he wasn't such a dick, I'd gladly grant his wish and let him become the problem of the Nats or Rays. But screw him. He's off the 40-man now, let his ass rot.

3. budcrew08

budcrew08 Active Member

"penis-fencing" Sure to be a staple on SportsJournalists.com threads for years to come.

4. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

Can't take credit for the term "penis-fencing." I was reading an article on bonobos earlier this week. Apparently, it's a common practice among bonobos.

5. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

This is an old one, but Jody Reed has to stand out as the all-time example of a baseball player who over-estimated his own worth.

At the end of the 1993 season, Reed --- a .270 career hitter with a decent glove but no power --- turned down a 3-year, $7.8 million offer to stay with the Dodgers, apparently on the advice of his agent/brother-in-law. After that, the best offer he got for the next season was one year, $750,000 from the Brewers.

6. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

The Rangers have a hole at first base so gaping that two mythological titans could do double-anal in it and still be in no risk of penis-fencing.

:eek:

7. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

There are some rumblings here in Toronto that the Jays are looking at Botts.

A couple of examples from Jays land:

- Eddie Zosky (first-round guy replaced by Manny Lee). I think he held out for big bucks and played only 44 games over five seasons.

- Jerry Schunk, who thought a decent spring in 1992 meant he should replace Robbie Alomar.

8. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

There's at least one modern politician who has put the big lie to that theory.

And now, back to baseball . . .

9. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Bump Bailey

10. John

John Well-Known Member

Not baseball, but relevant:

A senior cornerback on the I-AA team I cover lost his starting job to a freshman with three games left in the season. He then spent the next few months, and thousands of dollars, training for the team's pro day because he knew he was going to be drafted. He was not, of course, nor has he even been given a tryout with an arena team.

11. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Which led to the trade of Pedro Martinez for Delino DeShields, who during the Lost Piazza Years kept speaking to the media as if he were a team spokesman, when he was a waste everywhere other than the basepaths.

12. BYH

BYH Active Member

Only two weeks after they got rid of The Big Hurt?

Draft saved Draft deleted