1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Scripps

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Angola!, Mar 26, 2009.

1. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

We have to self-edit around here. All the copy editors have been laid off.

2. jps

jps Active Member

doesn't abilene already do the printing for san angelo?

3. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Hasn't stopped the Singleton papers from making their desks undergo a half-dozen forced relocations in the last three years.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Yes.

5. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

I always thought that was one word.

But you're right, Peter.

6. GlenQuagmire

GlenQuagmire Active Member

The only real connections for the Scripps newspapers are Abilene and San Angelo. A lot of the same schools, mostly smaller ones, in both coverage areas.

Wichita Falls is out there. Corpus Christi is REALLY out there.

Sorry to hear about this. My thoughts are with all of those involved.

7. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Geographically, Abilene makes more sense for a hub — it's in the center of the state. (San Angelo is "only" 90 miles south, which is a stone's throw by Texas standards.)

Corpus must've been selected because it's the biggest of the four papers by far.

8. GlenQuagmire

Or because editors can pay even less for people to work there because it's near the beach.

The Caller-Times' office is down on the bayfront.

9. PeterGibbons

PeterGibbons Member

The "beach" in Corpus isn't exactly the type of beach when I think of place I want to go to the beach.

10. GlenQuagmire

Management says that this move will make the newspapers more "efficient?"

I think they mean "cheap."

Just wait. The worst has yet to come.

11. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

I never quite understood how consolidating copy desk operations saved all that much. You still have to hire extra people wherever you consolidate, right?

For instance, if you have 4 news deskers on a given night doing one paper. Now you do four papers from the same desk. Well, you sure as hell aren't doing four papers with the same three people. So, you have to hire more bodies to cover the extra workload.

So it seems the only savings would come in terms of equipment (computer terminals, etc.) and such, eh? Someone please enlighten me.

12. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Which means it will be one of the first places to be wiped out in the next major hurricane.

Draft saved Draft deleted