1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Scripps rumor -- anyone confirm?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MU_was_not_so_hard, Aug 28, 2007.

1. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Didn't want to put this on the Alb. thread, but I've heard a rumor that most, if not all, Scripps papers have permanently suspended editorial hirings.
    In lieu of hiring full-timers, the papers are blown free-lance budgets to compensate for copy.

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Permanently?

Interesting that you do mention this. Listing on the APSE site for a six-month "sports internship" in Naples.

3. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Link to the aforementioned Naples posting.
    http://apse.dallasnews.com/job_board/2007/2116.html

4. ARD

ARD Member

My Scripps paper is interviewing for at least two newsroom positions.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Haven't heard of that out here.

6. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

From a friend at a Scripps paper -- some are still hiring, but some corporate scorn is coming with those that are.
    Good to know some are hiring. I have absolutely no problem with my information being wrong with this.

7. At my Scripps shop, we've had a hiring freeze since Feb. and have seen a gradual push to use more freelancers. I hear next year's budget for freelancers is in the $250,000 range. They have only replaced "mission critical" positions, which is decided on by the publisher, who has little to no newsroom experience. Apparently, they think it's too expensive to pay for benefits. Or they just don't want to. He's a bottom line ad guy. Basically they replace people who have a direct connection to making new money. So all of the newsroom positions that were replaced were in online. Sports has gone from seven to five people in the last three months. No plans to replace the two we lost.

We have 34 people in the newsroom and several people think the long term plan is to get it to 29 or 30. Some peoples' guess is the longer term plan is to have 10-12 managers responsible for 50 or so stringers.

But in terms of a company-wide answer, it depends on how well the bottom line is at each paper, and what kind of ad competition it has in its market. Other Scripps papers are allowed to hire, but my guess is those managers would have to convince the publisher that the position is important enough to free up some money.

8. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

It just gets better and better every day.

God Bless the newspaper business!

9. markvid

markvid Guest

Hey, Cuand:
    Don't walk in here tonight and be a dick. Cool it.

10. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

You knew DyePack's return would be nothing short of a clusterfuck.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Did I miss Fudgepack paying a visit? Damn... leave for five minutes and you miss everything

Draft saved Draft deleted