1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Screwup I'd like to know more about

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mr. X, Mar 19, 2008.

1. Mr. X

Mr. X Member

http://www.poynter.org/column.asp?id=45&aid=139898

How did this happen? What punishment did the reporter get? Were the editors skeptical about the reporter supposedly getting a call from Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton? The understanding I have is that it is rare for her to do one-on-one interviews, outside of major organizations.

2. jlee

jlee Active Member

And if you think you're interviewing one of only three people with a shot at the presidency, how is the mistaken identity not revealed in the interview?

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

For a second there I thought she worked for THAT Charlie Wilson.

4. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Active Member

Hillary Clinton is also one of the most famous people in the U.S. It seems to me that you ought to recognize her voice.
    Come to think of it, what the hell kind of questions what that reporter asking? Seems to me, something should have come up that would have made this person say "I'm not Senator Clinton".

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I think the error can be attributed to a overeager reporter without enough sense or backbone to ask to whom he was speaking.

6. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

How did this happen indeed? Who is the reporter calling? Do presidential candidates usually answer Charlie Wilson's phone?
    Now that I think of it I called the local college last week during spring break and John answered....I didn't realize I was talking to McCain then.

And also, it's good to see Frank Robinson has found work.

7. Walter_Sobchak

Walter_Sobchak Active Member

This is my completely uneducated guess..

But I'm guessing he knew he wasn't speaking to Hillary Clinton. However, his brain said one thing while his fingers said another. I have written a game story where a high schooler with an uncommon first-name (but shares it with an actress) somehow became that actress in my copy. It's incredibly embarassing.

I just don't see how any reporter could be that dumb, nor how the Hillary in question could have answered those questions without batting an eye.

8. ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
    I keep trying to comment but my eyes keep rolling ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
    ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) how the fuck does this happen? ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
    ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

9. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

copy desks???????

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

FH, if I'm on a copy desk, why would I assume to ask if the quote by Hillary Clinton was actually from Hillary Clinton? I've got to think that's something you generally assume the reporter gets right!

11. Holy crap. How does this person still have a job?

12. lono

lono Active Member

He was too busy shooting video and doing his blog to notice.

Draft saved Draft deleted