1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Screw the general baseball thread, this deserves its own for history...Pirates!

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by printdust, Jul 15, 2011.

1. printdust

printdust New Member

Pittsburgh-Milwaukee NLCS, with Cleveland waiting in the wings.
    The ratings bleed. lol

2. UPChip

UPChip Well-Known Member

As a fellow employee of the Nutting family, I will be waiting by my mailbox for the dividend check.

3. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Last I checked, I don't work at Fox, so I could give two fucks about TV ratings. Not sure why anyone else does either.

With today's fragmented TV landscape, to say nothing of the internet, etc., they tell you very little about a sports' actual appeal.

4. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

I don't work for Fox either and I'll watch regardless of teams so I could care less too. I'd have to wonder about postseason ratings, though.

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

If we're supposed to worry so much about TV ratings, let's just have two New York teams, two L.A. teams, two Chicago teams and Boston play in their own separate league.

6. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

Here's the thing though - they became those "same old Pirates" by extending their past marginal performers who had decent years. Guys like Kevin Young, Mike Williams, etc. Outside of McCutchen (who's a couple years from free agency) and maybe Karstens, everyone else falls into the category of "average guy having a good year." Maholm is worth keeping at $9.25M for a year, but they shouldn't feel obligated to extend him.

7. printdust

printdust New Member

Hey I'm not saying the ratings thing is a bad thing. I could care less. But you'll certainly hear the bitching and moaning about it because New Yorkers think the world revolves around their sports.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Pittsburgh and Milwaukee would be bad ratings. Funny thing is, Pittsburgh-Green Bay was a dream matchup for TV.

That said, I'll streak through Cooperstown if the NL Central has a wild card this year.

9. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Wife and I want to drive down next weekend, but SRO only for Cardinals series.

10. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

If you would take a beautiful pregnant woman to Pittsburgh, you are a terrible person. :D

11. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

If the Grove City outlet mall is involved, is that ok?

12. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Only if she wears a gas mask the entire time she's in the city limits.

Wait, when's she due? Does she want to be on her feet that much?

I'm pretty sure if I ever get to the point of pregnancy cravings, I'd crave things like shoes and outlet malls, not pickles and ice cream. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted