1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Screw the CMA's

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Neutral Corner, Nov 13, 2020.

1. Flip Wilson

Flip Wilson Well-Known Member

One by Willie is a podcast produced by Texas Monthly magazine. The host, John Spong, talks with musicians who are Willie fans about one Willie song and why it's important to her or him. It's a great listen.

One by Willie Podcast

OscarMadison likes this.
  2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I'll check that out, thanks. I never made one of Willie's 4th of July picnic and brain frys, but I caught a couple of Willie and Waylon New Years Eve shows.

They broke the mold. Won't ever be another like him.

OscarMadison, Wenders and Flip Wilson like this.
  3. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

There was a short window of "Red Headed Stranger" and "Honeysuckle Rose" where I as a kid caught Peak Willie.

Legend.

4. Neutral Corner

Throw in "Electric Horseman", for "I'm gonna get me a bottle of tequila, find me one of those Keno girls that can suck the chrome off a trailer hitch, and kick back."

5. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

I was really surprised by the Ethan Hawke one. He’s a fan, not a fan boy, and didn’t drop any big time actor flexes. Very thoughtful. Some good discussions about how Across the Borderline was a critical album pulling Willie away from being just a legacy act.

Lyle Lovett was one of my favourites, but he’s just always like that.

To tie that together, here they are at Farm Aid performing one of the two LL songs from that album. I like how Lovett is deferential but not gushy. He plays it straight.

Flip Wilson likes this.
  6. Neutral Corner

I really like Lyle, have for years. He goes his own way, by god, and what he does is generally interesting. The Large Band has a Bob Wills sorta feel without any overt references, just the flow of the swing.

2muchcoffeeman and Tighthead like this.
  7. Neutral Corner

An old favorite.

2muchcoffeeman and Tighthead like this.
  8. Tighthead

Tighthead Well-Known Member

Here’s a dandy cover by Lyle, from the Deadicated CD which I think I’ve owned 3 times.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Just wanted to remind everyone that Brittany Aldean is a homewrecking skank who broke up her husband’s first marriage with not much more than an “Oops! Sawwy!” to cover herself.

Wenders likes this.
  10. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Not that I needed more reason to love Maren Morris, but she hit that pretty square.

Wenders and 2muchcoffeeman like this.
  11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Last edited: Nov 10, 2022
  12. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

They stopped recording and touring together. Then they figured out that there’s more money to be made as Brooks & Dunn than as solo artists Kix Brooks and Ronnie Dunn. Strictly a business relationship, though.

Thought the CMA voters got Song of the Year — the writing award — wrong. Should’ve gone to either Lainey Wilson or Pearce/McBryde. Nice to see the NashVegas establishment has caught up with the rest of the world regarding Cody Johnson, but he should’ve won male vocalist as well.

Old Dominion is the last holdout from the bro country era.

Draft saved Draft deleted