1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Screw the CMA's

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Neutral Corner, Nov 13, 2020.

1. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

As a rejoinder to the “Perfect Pop Songs” thread, I give you the perfect country and western song:

2. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

I came very close to putting this song in there.

3. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I am familiar with the Coe recording of this one, had never seen this and it's awesome. And "City of New Orleans" could be in the Perfect Pop Songs thread.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Apparently the American Music Awards show last night did not do a Eddie Van Halen tribute.

justgladtobehere likes this.
  5. 2muchcoffeeman

We don’t really have a catch-all country music thread and I’m not sure this particular singer made a dent on everyone’s pop-culture awareness back when … but since “Screw the CMAs” describes how I feel about the country-music establishment I’m just going to keep bumping up this thread.

KT Oslin, 78, passed away this morning. She’d been living in an ALF since 2016 as the result of Parkinson’s disease and was diagnosed with COVID-19 last week.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

7. Matt1735

Matt1735 Well-Known Member

I wasn't an 80s Lady, but one line fits me perfectly.

A borderline fool who crosses the border every chance I get.

RIP K.T. Oslin

OscarMadison likes this.
  8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

Man I miss me some Foster & Lloyd...hadn’t thought of them in eons.

9. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

I despise country music.
    That's all.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

As Hank Jr. once pointed out, you got a right to be wrong.

But you’re still wrong.

OscarMadison and Wenders like this.
  11. 2muchcoffeeman

Screw Morgan Wallen.
    The hottest star in music so far in 2021, Morgan Wallen, has suddenly gone very cold. His music was yanked from Cumulus Media, the second biggest radio chain in the nation, as of midnight Central after a storm broke out over his being captured on video using a racial slur.

Cumulus, which is especially powerful in the country radio sphere, sent out a directive to the program directors of all of its 400-plus stations with the header “MORGAN WALLEN -- EXTREMELY IMPORTANT.” The message read: “Team, unfortunately country music star Morgan Wallen was captured on video Sunday evening using a racial slur. Effective immediately we request that all of Morgan Wallen’s music be removed from our playlists without exception. More to follow.”

The directive was signed by Brian Philips, EVP of programming for the chain, and John Dimick, the company’s head of programming operations. Notably, no mention was made of the ban being temporary or of waiting for more details to emerge about the incident.

Other radio stations around the country are expected to follow with an at least temporary ban on Wallen’s music, notwithstanding the fact that his “Dangerous: The Double Album” release is about to have a fourth week at the top of the charts, setting a record for consecutive weeks at No. 1 not seen by a country artist since Garth Brooks in the late ’90s.

Wallen issued a statement Tuesday night after TMZ first reported the incident, saying, “I’m embarrassed and sorry. I used an unacceptable and inappropriate racial slur that I wish I could take back. There are no excuses to use this type of language, ever. I want to sincerely apologize for using the word. I promise to do better.”

As of late Tuesday night, Wallen’s rep said there would be no other immediate comment. Reps for Republic Records, which releases his music in conjunction with Nashville’s Big Loud label, did not immediately return requests for comment.

The video, posted on TMZ Tuesday night and reportedly recorded by Wallen’s neighbors, shows him yelling profanities after a night out in Nashville, including the N-word.

Said one figure in country radio who did not want to comment for attribution: “Morgan Wallen appears in virtually every half-hour of music across 4000 stations across America right now. How’d you like to get that message at midnight, that you have to take him out of the music blocks you already set up for Wednesday? If anybody has other songs they’ve been wanting to hear in the morning, they may get to hear them tomorrow.”​

Being drunk is no excuse. Alcohol doesn’t make someone racist, it just lowers their inhibitions about saying stupid shit.

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

But mah cancel culture.

Same moron that got himself temporarily disinvited from SNL last fall because he thought maskless bar hopping on a Tuscaloosa game weekend was a sound strategy.

Draft saved Draft deleted