1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Screw the Baldwins, what's the best brother/sister acting family?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by CD Boogie, Feb 12, 2020.

1. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I agree with Songbird. Why Meg Ryan would ever have undergone plastic surgery is beyond me.

I would love to hear some of these celebrities' honest-truth reactions to their looks, post-surgery. It almost never makes them look better. And if it does, it's known to be completely artificial. I mean, Jane Fonda's face looks good -- she must have gotten a good surgeon. But she's 82 -- 82! -- and didn't have one single wrinkle or pock mark that I could see the other night during the Oscars telecast.

2. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Jane Fonda is amazing; I once was her waiter in the mid 80’s (w Tom Hayden and 15-20 others) and she looks better now.

3. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Nobody complains about Michelle Pfeiffer's looks - and she's had work. I guess it bugs me that people pass judgement on celebrities who get noticeably bad work done (it's not like they did it themselves) - and it wasn't like Meg Ryan was crushing it before her surgery. The affair with Crowe didn't help. You make a few movies that don't do well commercially or critically, the offers start slowing, you start wondering what you can do. It isn't like Hollywood is known for a lot of great female-driven movies in any event. Still wouldn't be surprised to see Ryan get another Oscar nom in an indie movie or something. I'm surprised someone hasn't written something specifically for her and Julia Roberts, something in between Thelma and Louise and First Wives Club.

4. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Because there's no shame in aging naturally. The wrinkles and the gray hairs are earned by the time they come.

Some of these people literally defaced themselves. For what, more money?

No judgments, just observation.

OscarMadison likes this.
  5. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

He probably should have directed his anger at Lyndon Johnson, Robert McNamara, Dean Rusk, McGeorge Bundy, Robert Kennedy and the other members of the Kennedy administration that Johnson retained, essentially handcuffing him to a position where it was virtually impossible not to commit combat troops and escalate what everyone in both administrations knew would be a shitty and unwinnable war.

And at the sheep in Congress who blindly passed the Gulf of Tonkin Resolution with very shaky (and eventually proven falsified) intelligence about a purported "attack" by the NVA Navy.

"Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty. This much we pledge—and more," sounds great, but it's extremely stupid public policy.

But good ol' Hanoi Jane Fonda makes a great scapegoat.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2020
    OscarMadison likes this.
  6. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

An actor's face is everything, like an athlete juicing, a businessperson cooking the books, a writer embellishing a story - you do what you think you have to do to survive in the business. If nobody notices, what's the harm?

7. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Don't care for the idea of cheating in anything to hang on. We make the most of our toolsets in life. And if they're not good enough anymore? Fuck 'em.

Plus, the problem you describe is an industry problem, though it seems to be lifting. Laura Dern is having one of the better stretches of her career.

Elizabeth I wanted the porcelain white skin that was vogue in her era, so she began using a lead-based makeup that poisoned her over a period of many years.

Vanity can be the enemy of dignity.

8. Liut

Liut Well-Known Member

Wonk! Wonk!

Draft saved Draft deleted