1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Screw it... please ignore this thread and vote on the other one. Sorry

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Columbo, Aug 5, 2006.

?

Best sports film actor (minimum two films)

1. Kevin Costner

5 vote(s)
    31.3%
  2. Chelcie Ross

3 vote(s)
    18.8%
  3. Tom Cruise

1 vote(s)
    6.3%
  4. James Earl Jones

4 vote(s)
    25.0%
  5. John C. Reilly

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. Other

3 vote(s)
    18.8%
  1. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Re: "You wanna have a catch?"

"No one, and I mean no one, comes into our house and pushes us around."

Get's me fired up when I see it at the stadium/ballpark/arena.

2. Bubba Fett

Bubba Fett Active Member

Re: Yes... I forgot Dennis Quaid

No Stallone? -- Rocky, Victory, Over the Top, Driven, Cliffhanger

3. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Over the Top.

You know, Kramer vs. Kramer was a pretty good movie that dealt with a child custody battle. You know what it was missing? Arm wrestling.

4. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Cliffhanger and Over The Top don't make my cut.

If I sub in Quaid for Reilly, I don't feel bad about Stallone being left out... though he could go in for Cruise.

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Re: "You wanna have a catch?"

The special-edition bonus DVD explains why Costner ad-libbed "have a catch" in there, instead of -- as we all know -- the "wanna play catch" line that EVERYBODY says.

I'll have to watch the bonus DVD again to remember exactly why he did it (it's on the section where Bench, Brett and Saberhagen show up to watch the movie at Costner's place) ... but IIRC, it's because "have a catch" is so unusual and stands out so much that it just hit everybody on the set like a ton of bricks when he said it.

And it's hit millions of movie-goers like a ton of bricks, too.

For me, that's the part when I lose it. (Of course, I've usually started to lose it a little before then, but that's the part where everything starts gushing out.) Like Pube said, I'm not usually in the right state of mind to absorb any awkwardness in the line.

IMO, that's not a movie you can really analyze too closely. There's a lot of anachronism. There's a lot of fantastical ideas that don't really make any logical sense. It's a dreamy, emotional fantasy, not a realistic drama. Fuck, Joe Jackson bats right-handed!!! (If there's anything that gets me riled up, it's that -- not "have a catch".)

But you know what? The movie works anyway -- if you let it. Suspension of disbelief. You've just got to want to turn off your mind and let the movie take you by emotion instead. But hey, everybody's got a choice. Some people hate this movie. Many people love it. I'm one of the latter.

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

While he is hated by many on this board, Bill Simmons has a rather apt line regarding FoD: There are two kinds of people. Those who love FoD, and those who don't have a heart.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Love that line. I use it a lot. :D

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I love this thread title. It's got it all. Pathos. Regret. Angst.

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

And suck.

Don't forget the suck.

10. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Just because -- Cockdian.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I knew I could count on Doc to bring the funny.

Pussy Eaten. That never gets old, though it's rapidly becoming the red-headed stepchild of the monster that is Cockdian.

12. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

Gotta go with Costner just because of Bull Durham. Except ol' crash makes our life hard.

"You're gonna have to learn your clichés. You're gonna have to study them, you're gonna have to know them. They're your friends. Write this down: 'We gotta play it one day at a time...'[Nuke] Got to play... it's pretty boring...[Crash] Of course it's boring, that's the point. Write it down."

Draft saved Draft deleted