1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Screw college, I'm going to Europe

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by RossLT, Jul 10, 2008.

1. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Interesting take on the one year out of high school thing, I agree with Graney.

http://www.lvrj.com/sports/24307439.html

2. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I agree too. It'll be interesting to see how Stern and the NCAA react to having the top HS stars jumping to Europe.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Debated on a different thead, but is it a given this kid will be a decent player oversees?

Will he still be a lottery pick if he plays 12 minutes and scores five points a night?

He is playing against men in these leagues, right? Not against fellow teenagers.

If he does well and is a lottery pick, the flood gates will open.

4. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

Hmm....if it didn't stop others from being first round picks while playing 12 minutes a game for some European team, I don't see it being a problem with him being a top pick.

This kid definitely has the goods. The only problem I foresee are the European teams adding more limits on the amount of foriegn players on their squads. I always wondered what they were afraid of when using those quotas.

5. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

This is not going to cause a mass exodus. How often are you going to find a kid who is too dumb to qualify academically, but mature enough to handle being alone in a foreign country where he doesn't speak the language and is resented by his teammates?

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

There are other reasons to want to go straight to pro ball than being too dumb for college. With that said I don't see this becoming a trend because there aren't enough roster spots available for non-EU residents on teams over there.

7. Big Chee

Big Chee Active Member

You tied the kids future to your imagination.

We don't know what the future holds for him, but I'm certain once kids in his position are aware of the potential Euro dollars they could be making overseas for one year, the flood gates will open.

good for them and their families.

8. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Not to mention the money they can receive from sneaker deals, money that is currently going to the schools' and the coaches' pockets while the players are forced to wear the gear.

The one thing you hope for with the kid is that he saves some money so that he will be able to afford a college education if his pro career flops.

9. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Or they can get paid under the table at USC and live on the beach while playing on television.....

10. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

... while checking out, and potentially bangin', these chicks:
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  11. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

He would go to college if he had the grades/scores to be eligible. Plus there are questions about his last test scores.

Smart move for the kid because if he wanted to be a one and done, this is his best option. And that's really the very small niche for this type of situation.

12. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

The quotas are in place because the leagues are designed to make their own national teams better. MLS has a similar rule regarding the players here.

This generally prevents one team from piling up on very good foreigners and dominating the league.

Draft saved Draft deleted