1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Screw Billy Packer

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Bristol Insider, Apr 3, 2007.

1. I stand corrected ... from dictionary.com

Fag - verb - fagged or fagging
    1. to tire or weary by labor; exhaust (often fol. by out): The long climb fagged us out.

Leave it to Packer to use that word in a sentence in 2007. Turns out he still has a grip on the language. He's still a dumbass.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

That's the whole thing about this controversy. All it means is that Packer is old.

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Absolutely all it means. But you know people are going to take a harmless statement and blow it up, because they WANT controversy.

4. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

If Billy Packer had come out and said nice things about John Amaechi or had any sort of support for gay rights in the past, no one probably thinks twice about this. But he's so negative about most anything outside the ACC, it's tough to give him the benefit of the doubt, even though he used that phrase correctly.

He could have used any number or words that haven't been outdated for 100 years. Didn't do it, though.

5. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

I caught Raftery doing radio in the final four. Every game is like the best day of his life -- what a contrast to Packer. Top of the list of the guys I'd like to have a drink with -- now, sadly but safely, dry.

The General ... in the traditional ... man-to-man.

... with a smooch ...

YHS, etc

6. Taylee

Taylee Member

My favorite from Rafferty: When Greg Odgen sealed a victory with a block, he screamed: "The Negator." I swear we had to rewind the TVo a few times to make sure he didn't say something else.
    With Packer, he's a moron, not because of what he says (maybe that's part of it) but it's more for what he doesn't say. For example, in the final, Florida was the one of the few teams not to double-down on Oden. Team in the past have done this and given open looks to the OSU perimeter players. Florida played OSU straight up and in the process shut down the perimeter. It was the reason Oden finished with 25 pts. 12 rebs. and the team shot 4-for-23 from 3-point range. It was soooooo obvious.

7. Kato

Kato Well-Known Member

ESPN should be ripped for the way it broadcast this story. During the report in which they showed Packer's apology/explanation, they called his comment controversial something like "despite the rather benign definition." Then they showed the clip from the Charlie Rose show. But they never gave the dictionary definition. They just Packer's comments hang out there.

I'm not much of a Billy Packer fan, and he strikes me as the type of guy who would use that word just so he can tell everyone what it really means. However, the 90-second ESPN report on it was completely unfair.

Draft saved Draft deleted