1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Screamin' A. gets whacked

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SixToe, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

of course he will. he's a dick.

2. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Aren't you supposed to be doing a halftime show right now?

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i just got back to my laptop. what did i miss?

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Love him or hate him, his personality sold a shitload of papers there...

I'm guessing they just got fed up with being No. 4 or No. 5 on his priority list...

5. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Unlike all those papers that are quite content being No. 2 or 3 on their moonlighting scribes' priority lists. Some convince themselves it's good promotion for the paper, but I think they lose an equal number of readers who now can get the guy electronically rather than in print.

I give Inky credit, no matter how belatedly, for calling the guy on this. I still think it wreaks havoc on staff morale, having the highest-paid folks in the best jobs give less of themselves to the paper than the one-job grunts.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

looking at their circulation numbers, you have to be 100 percent correct.

and yeah, go figure.

7. Stone Cane

Stone Cane Member

inquirer has been bleeding readers for years and i doubt that smith's departure has had an effect on the rate that readers are abandoning the paper

8. beardpuller

beardpuller Active Member

I am sure of very few things in this world, Mizzougrad, but here's one: Unless Stephen A.'s mother subscribed, nobody in Philadelphia, or in the entire Delaware Valley, ever bought a copy of the Inquirer because that idiot was in it.
    One of the most hilarious things about his "national profile" was that he was never a big deal in Philadelphia, where, quite frankly, fans can be rude, but they prefer columnists who have some idea what the hell they're talking about.

9. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

Hey, that's good.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i'm a sarcastic fuck about half the time stone. and actually, they were bleeding readers WHILE the dick was penning columns. the dick is not a savior by any means.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Well, I don't want to become a SAS apologist, because I'm not a fan of his...

But... Most papers, like the Miami Herald, the Kansas City Star, the Denver Post, the LA Times, the Dallas Morning News, the Boston Globe among others would kill to have their columnist all over the WWL.

I don't know if there is a single big paper in the country whose circulation isn't in the shitter.

The problem was, Smith would go months between columns... They should have canned his ass, but instead, they tried to shame him into quitting by demoting him.

Hard to feel any sympathy for either side...

12. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

They would "kill," even if it had no tangible positive effect? Then they're more screwed up than most newspapers already are. Just because they get it into their heads there is some promotional value to having a staff jackass front-and-center nationally, if it isn't generating bigger circulation or ad revenue, it ain't working. And the extra money they're throwing at the jackass is wasted. Lot of bad assumptions behind the alleged "crossover" or "synergy" value of letting a few newsroom employees run roughshod over work rules and standards.

Draft saved Draft deleted