1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Screamin' A. gets whacked

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SixToe, Jan 30, 2008.

1. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

www.philly.com/philly/blogs/phillygossip/Inqwaster_fires_Stephen_A_Smith.html

Read the first reply, too.

2. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

SAS might have been too busy watching The Wire.

3. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

This is tewwible. TEWWIBLE!

Just kidding. His loss, Inky's gain. :)

4. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

I thought he quit when the Inky tried to make him a general reporter.

5. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Good for the paper, even if David Simon does hate Bill Marimow.

I'm guessing the Inky made book on Stephen A. to counter his team of lawyers, and six months seems more than sufficient to charge job abandonment.

Good luck to him in fighting the "demotion" angle. I've seen time and again where newspapers have the right to reassign staffers, and going from columnist "back" to reporter doesn't rate as a demotion if they leave your paycheck alone. And frankly, it shouldn't -- I know a lot of beat writers who work much harder, and are better journalists, than the folks writing columns. Any big-headed columnist who won't get his hands dirty as a reporter anymore ain't worth a damn.

6. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

"Quite Frankly...no one is going to miss him!"

7. Danny Noonan

Danny Noonan Member

Stephen A.'s ESPN radio show got whacked in my market a month ago. Station canned him and the "Sports Bash" or whatever the hell it's called now in favor of Dan Patrick. Pretty amusing.

8. I don't think he's going to be eating canned tuna and Ramen noodles anytime soon.

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I can't believe what the second poster wrote:

"You can't just fire, suspend, etc., especially a union job, because of job abandonment."

Oh, really? Does that mean if I work for a guild paper, I can disappear for six months and not get fired?

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Awesome, what do I get?

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Probably not. But those Cheez Doodles won't be too far away. ...

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I'm certainly not averse to ESPN's overcompensation policies, on principle.

Getting paid a lot of money does not necessarily translate into the recipient being worth a nickel.

Feel free to list your favorite exhibits. Ah, the songs we know and love . . .

Draft saved Draft deleted