1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Scrabble: 3,000 new words

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, May 13, 2011.

1. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

As a bit of a Scrabble enthusiast, I don't like this development.

Now comes news that Scrabble is admitting 3,000 new words, including slang such as THANG, GRRL, and INNIT; technological terms like WEBZINE and FACEBOOK (as a verb); and u-less words including QIN (a Chinese zither) and FIQH (an expansion of Islamic sharia law). (Scrabblers use uppercase when referring to words in the context of the game.) Seattlest reports that Scrabble "just got a lot more hip, and a little more easy."

http://www.slate.com/id/2293903/

2. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

QIN changes nothing, because QI was already legal and a favorite way to dispose of Qs if the Us had run out.

As far as grrl, thang and innit, not in any damn game of Scrabble I'm playing. And get off my lawn.

3. Dick Whitman

Never mind. I should have read the same article. Those words are for non-North America players, not us.

False alarm.

4. Dick Whitman

I used ZA a few weeks ago, and my wife's aunt flipped out about it. "That's not a word! That's not a word!" "It's in the Players' Dictionary." "I don't care what that book says. That is NOT a word."

She was seriously pissed and thought I shouldn't be allowed to use it.

5. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

First thing you do if you start entering Scrabble tournaments: learn all the two-letter words (and that C and V are the only two letters that you can't make a two-letter word out of). Then you learn the three-letter words.

I must get around to finishing Word Freak at some point.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Stefan Fatsis, who wrote Word Freak (a must read), put something on Facebook about this. I found the "thang" thing interesting. How can thang count when it isn't really a word?

7. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

I am a bit perturbed that Scrabble does not allow "zen."

8. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Irony.

9. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

It's a proper noun, same as Jew or Buddhist.

10. Dick Whitman

Scrabble is pretty objective about it. If it appears in one of the recognized dictionaries they use, it goes into the book. The answer, I guess, is that language evolves, and what isn't a word at one point becomes one. I think dictionaries keep track of usage in print media and so forth to determine if a "word" has moved beyond slang.

11. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

Ah, I didn't know that was a rule.

12. Mystery Meat II

Mystery Meat II Well-Known Member

JEW, as a verb, is actually in the OSPD 2 and Official Tournament and Club Word List. Along with BOOBIE, FARTED and FATSO. But due to backlash from the Anti-Defamation League, they are not in OSPD 3.

Draft saved Draft deleted