1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SCOTUS: Sex offenders can be held indefinitely

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, May 17, 2010.

1. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Convicted sex offenders don't deserve rights. They deserve to be raped and killed in prison.

2. That applies to a lot of criminals.... repeat offenders.
    I realize sex offenders are particularly heinous, but this screams discrimination.
    Small Potatoes summed up my stance ... Life sentences are fine as long as it is imposed up front.

3. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Debbie Downer checks in

4. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

There used to be, but in the 1980s we dismantled the public health apparatus that would have institutionalized them.

D'oh.

5. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Is it just me, or do these two rulings seem to contradict each other?
    The sex offender ruling is ridiculous. We'll turn murderers out on the street (assuming they've pleaded to manslaughter) but this group of criminals is too dangerous to let loose when they've served their time? I always thought constitutional law was built on the slippery slope premise. The Supreme Court just greased that mutha with Crisco and bacon fat.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Discrimination? I don't know. Yeah, discrimination based on race, religion, gender, etc. is bad & wrong, but do we really have to worry about discriminating against sex offenders.

I mean, shouldn't we? Especially if we still consider them a risk?

7. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

One of the big problems is, who decides they're not a risk anymore? The possibility for abuse of power is tremendous.

8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Not sure I see the validity of the comparison, actually. 42 days is a long time, but at least it's fixed.

It's clear the definition of "rights" utterly eludes you.

9. YankeeFan

The do seem, if not to be in direct contradiction, to come at similar arguments from opposite sides.

I wonder about how the view the application of the 8th amendment. Clearly, they don't look at life without parole to be "cruel & unusual punishment" in all cases.

What about the age of the offender changes their opinion? Does it become cruel because of the duration of the confinement or is it strictly because the offender was young?

10. YankeeFan

Hard to argue with that. I guess I'd lean on the side of being more careful.

But I'd think that some of the concerns are based on the offenders own words about what their impulses are.

11. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

So if the offender says he doesn't have impulses, you keep him locked up. And if he does say he has impulses, you keep him locked up. Seems asking him is a bit pointless.

That sort of nebulous power handed to the government is, I thought, the kind of thing that those Founding Father types wanted to avoid.

12. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

And it remains bizarre that the people, by and large, who will support this decision are the same ones who insist that government is to be limited in every way, shape and form.

Draft saved Draft deleted