1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SCOTUS: People have the right to own guns

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by EStreetJoe, Jun 26, 2008.

1. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Good one. I'll have to remember that.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

And don't forget the ever popular: Guns don't kill people People kill people.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

And the police.

And the hunters with rifles and shotguns.

And the homeowners who will have a permit for a shotgun or a hunting rifle.

I am not against guns, but I am against handguns.

4. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

This is a pretty narrow ruling. You have the right to possess a firearm in your home for your immediate self-defense. The Court expressly said it wasn't deciding licensing and other regulations and definitely wasn't giving away handguns to every felon who wants one.

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Where was this enlightened attitude when the court made rulings that you DIDN'T like? Or were you picking your nose at the time?

6. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

My nine handguns and I are happy, but expected nothing less than what was opined by the justices.

7. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Feh, perhaps. I'd like to think the whole assassination thing has gone out of fashion, but everything – except, I guess, stack heels for men – comes back into fashion eventually.

8. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Fixed for accuracy.

9. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

The District's arguments were weak. Having talked to the city's lawyers about it, I knew months ago they didn't stand a chance.

The well regulated militia part is pretty ambiguous. But it says the right will not be infringed. I'm only surprised it came on a 5-4 vote.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Exactly.

If DC wants, it can enact a very stringent permit system. But it just can't say "No pistols at all."

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I'm disturbed by the fact we were one vote away from having part of the Constitution overturned by a bunch of unelected judges.

12. Trouser_Buddah

Trouser_Buddah Active Member

If you legislate guns, only legislators will have guns...

Draft saved Draft deleted