1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SCOTUS: ObamaCare Decision

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Jun 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ColdCat

ColdCat Well-Known Member

my prediction is I'll have a few friends post on facebook that they liked the ruling, a few post that it's the wrong choice by SCOTUS, some will be a little more hysterical than others, and the day after the ruling I still won't be able to make a doctors appointment in my hometown since I still won't be covered.

2. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

WOW. I think that is a bold prediction. If anything I agree with the previous sentiment that the mandate will get tossed and everything else will get to stay. Mixed bag. Something for everyone.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

I don't think it's as bold as some might think. I think the bolder prediction is that the Supreme Court would overturn a major piece of legislation. It has hardly ever done so.

4. ucacm

ucacm Active Member

Upheld. SCOTUS decides it just doesn't want to be involved in invalidating such a major piece of legislation. Theme of majority opinion is telling people they are free to elect officials that will overturn it.

5. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Individual mandate is gone. The rest stays.

5-2 vote.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

7. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Has Thomas ever been the lone dissenter on anything?

The whole thing is chucked, 5-4.

8. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Mandate out, rest in.

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

"Uphold the rest but take out the mandate" is one of those "Everything's complicated so let's just split the difference" ideas that seems casually appealing, but it doesn't seem remotely workable to me in a practical sense.

10. schiezainc

schiezainc Well-Known Member

Sorry, meant 5-4. Typing is hard.

11. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Although let me note, I don't share Dick's sheer confidence. I'm simply saying that if I have to be pinned down to a single scenario that I think is more likely than any other, it's that it will be upheld. I wouldn't be shocked at all to see 5-4 overturning it.

12. printit

printit Member

5-4 to overturn. Just not constitutional. If the power to regulate interstate commerce means the power to regulate inactivity then it means literally EVERYTHING and, thus, means nothing. 5-4, it's gone.

And the idea that the Court doesn't strike down "major" legislation (whatever that even means) is just not historically accurate.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.