1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SCOTUS: Gitmo prisoners have rights under Constitution

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by dixiehack, Jun 12, 2008.

1. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I'll bet you anything that tonight Michael Savage will call for Bush to do that, all the while yelling "The stench from the bench is making me clench!".

2. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

If John McCain can run for president after being born in a U.S.-occupied territory, then anyone within a U.S.-occupied territory falls under U.S. law.

Duh.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

No, but he can just ignore it... and he will

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Interesting. So Scalia thinks the Constitutional rights to be given terror suspects will cause more Americans to be killed? Mr. Justice...care to quantify your answer with a little, y'know, logic? How exactly will that work?

5. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Why does the Supreme Court hate America?

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

God save Anthony Kennedy. Suck it Bork!

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Amazing that four of our justices are perfectly willing to Charminize the constitution.

8. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

I hope you're not getting this snippy over a quote in a news report. Read the opinion & then attack the logic. And it doesn't say that wars should be easy, but it also doesn't say that it applies to non-citizens. Again, I think you should read what they write before saying that the isolated quotes don't make an entire argument.

9. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

The neoconservative movement has proven repeatedly that it doesn't give a tinker's damn about the Constitution.

10. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I'll be happy to read the entire ruling, but this quote definitely should be addressed. What possible logic could there be behind asserting that more Americans will die through the granting of Constitutional rights?

11. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Did POWs in any other war have this right?

12. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

They're not U.S. citizens and should not be afforded any protection by our constitution.

Draft saved Draft deleted