1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SCOTUS: Bush overstepped authority at Gitmo

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Idaho, Jun 29, 2006.

1. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

I will be interested to see what the Administration does. It has several options to work with to get the result it wants. If it sets up a "competent tribunal" under Geneva, that tribunal can determine that the detainees do not qualify for Geneva protections. Bush can go to Congress to set up the tribunals and my guess is that in an election year, he could get the GOP to push it through. The fact that Congress already passed the Detainee Treatment Act will help Bush...the only reason that it didn't end Hamdan's case is because Hamdan had already filed before it went through. Did this decision hurt the Bush Administration's policies? Undoubtedly. At the same time, Stevens left a multitude of doors open for Bush to get around the decision and get his tribunals. My guess is that Bush will follow them -- he would be more likely to ignore it if he had no options remaining.

2. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

This is the problem with the Supreme Court as a whole, pretty much since the Warren Court. You get partisans, who are basically political operatives who know how to speak the constitutional lingo. But they are not commited to upholding the law and the constitution. They are commited to their individual social agendas. It cuts both ways, liberal and conservative. It's kind of sickening, when in the case of something like this, which so clearly antithetical to the ideas of due process that the country was founded on, Thomas can't just be a constitutional judge and rule in an intellectually honest way. I am really disappointed in Scalia. He normally is one of the more intellectually honest of the jackals. Not sure where he was at on this. But I am glad at least they did the right thing as a body.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

That, Ragu, is a hell of a post.

And I never thought I'd say this, but I'm disappointed in Scalia, too.

I usually disagree with him, but he's usually consistent.

4. PopeDirkBenedict

He doesn't ask questions because he only asks questions if he...has a question. Unlike Scalia, who asks questions as ways to set up softballs for the side he likes or to needle other members of the court or to generally be a pain in the ass, Thomas only asks questions if he needs something cleared up. After reading the briefs, Thomas generally has a pretty good idea of how he is going to rule (just like every other Justice) and is honest about it. And I wish the Justices would write fewer concurring/dissenting opinions. It would clear up the court's rulings....there is nothing more frustrating than reading this:

STEVENS writes an opinion, which KENNEDY joins, except for Part IX, where STEVENS wistfully remembers his high school girlfriend. GINSBURG writes a concurring opinion, in which SOUTER, BREYER and KENNEDY join, except for Parts VI(A) and VI(C), in which SOUTER writes a concurring opinion and BREYER agrees, except for the part when GINSBURG says the 1927 Yankees were better than the 1975 Reds. ROBERTS writes an opinion concurring in the judgment, but dissenting on the reasoning, claiming that a Big Mac does taste better than a Whopper. SCALIA writes a dissent in which ALITO and THOMAS join. THOMAS writes a dissent in which SCALIA and ALITO join. ALITO writes an opinion in which SCALIA and THOMAS join.

If you agree with the opinion written by another member of the court, sign your name to it and be done with it. It makes it much easier for lower courts to apply SCOTUS precedents when the Justices give a clear opinion and they aren't worrying about how to apply the Kennedy concurrance.

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Interesting, then, that your boy Thomas is the most frequent dissenter.

But a crack legal mind like yourself already knew that.

6. It hardly started with the Warren Court.
    After all, Mr. Dooley warned us that, "th' Supreme Court follows th' illection returns" back at the turn of the century.
    And PDB -- the decision does not leave the definition of "competent tribunals" up to the administration. It leaves the definition up to the people who monitor compliance with the accords.

7. PopeDirkBenedict

My defense of Thomas is simple. I don't agree with all or even many of his views (the only Justice I really like is Roberts). But I despise it when it is implied that he is Scalia's lapdog or that he's just keeping the bench warm or that he is making up the law out of whole cloth. He takes being an orginalist and a minimalist to its logical extreme. You claimed that his opinions have nothing to do with the law. I asked you to back up that claim and you punted, proving that you're just talking out of your ass. You also claimed that he is a moron, another claim that I look forward to hearing you prove.

EDIT: Yes, Thomas is the most frequent dissenter and he, like every other Justice, writes too many concurring/dissenting opinions. For example, I wish Alito/Thomas/Scalia had worked together as one to write a single dissent. But the real target of my ire is Kennedy (and was O'Connor when she was on there), who would would routinely join the majority in the result, but the not the legal analysis, turning the decision into a 4-1-4 ruling and making it extremely hard to determine exactly how to apply that precedent. Look no further than Kennedy's concurrance in the Vermont campaign finance case, which really leaves the entire case up in the air and only guarantees that the issue is coming back to the court in some form.

8. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

Ragu, that's been happening since the midnight appointments in 1801. Old hat.

And Marshall tried to do away with some of the silliness Pope alluded to by assigning a single jurist to write for the majority, allowing the Court to speak with one voice even when its members disagreed.

9. The Big Ragu

No, it didn't start with the Warren court. I mean, you can point to things like the Dred Scott decision. But the Warren Court ramped it up so it was the norm, not the exception.

10. Ragu--
    I think that people think the Warren Court "ramped it up" -- your phase, although not necessarily what you meant - because, for the first time, the momentum of the law began to get behind those people against whom it had ground away for the previous 200 years. Miranda was good for law enforcement, not bad. Brown v. Board was good for the country, not bad. Gideon was good for the judiciary, not bad. Griswold was good for us all, not bad.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Thank you for the legitimate response.

If Thomas really wanted to carry originalism to its logical conclusion, wouldn't he resign?

Originaliism, like its academic counterpart authorial intent, is a fool's paradise. Sounds good, doesn't work.

12. The Big Ragu

FB, It's not about good or bad. It's about the role they are supposed to play. Many of those rulings you cite were not grounded in the constitution. They'd make up stuff to justify their goal. They may have been doing socially good things that we all love--I mean who with a conscience is going to argue with Brown vs. Board of Ed--but it was our legislators that were supposed to be doing those right things, not nine unelected appointees playing the role of legislature. You mentioned Griswold v. Connecticut. There isn't a constitutional scholar alive who believes that was a solid ruling on its constitutional merits. They basically took the bill of rights, put it in a hat, shook it up, and made up a whole new right. I mean, screw the amendment process. They can basically say the constitution says anything that fits their agenda.

The problem now is, since we we have gone down that slippery slope, everything is fair game. You may like most of what the Warren Court did, but when a court you don't care for uses the same BS methods to achieve it's social goals, you basically forfeit the right to complain. It also created this horrible phenomenon, in which by acting as legislators with robes, one court can rule favorably about some social issue, and a few years later, when the political leanings of the court change, they can undo the ruling. Nothing about the constitution changed during that time, just the politics of the appointees. That wasn't the way your boys Madison and Jefferson had imagined this.

Draft saved Draft deleted