1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SCOTUS: Arizona Immigration Law

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Apr 25, 2012.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

I'm prepared for that. Are you prepared for the opposite?

See, I think America is great enough that no one President can fuck it up too badly.

Bud Selig couldn't ruin baseball, Barack Obama can't ruin America.

But, Dems pee their pants at the thought of a Republican President.

You mock the right for "being afraid" of "negros" or "mooslims".

You're petrified at the idea of Mitt Romney as President. That's funny.

2. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

So it's Obama's fault Tony "Illegal Immigrants Are Just Like Bank Robbers" Scalia is on the bench? You can't force a bunch of lifetime-appointed right-wing activist fucksticks to vote your way.

I am concerned.

Also, I wonder how long it's going to take old_racist to realize no one, even those ostensibly on his side, is replying to his posts. Must be a lonely life, old_racist.

3. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I'm voting for Obama. I expect him to win. But if he does, he needs to clean house at Justice, and not just the solicitor's office. Eric Holder is the clubhouse leader for Worst Cabinet Appointment.

4. YankeeFan

It would be one thing if they made good arguments, but lost because of the ideological makeup of the Court.

Is anyone saying they've made good arguments?

They've been embarrassed. The Judges who agree with them ideologically have tried to help them. Tried to feed them answers, or at least let them know when their arguments are failing.

It's really been bad -- much worse than expected.

5. waterytart

waterytart Active Member

Michele Bachmann and the Ricks petrify me.

Romney inspires despair.

6. YankeeFan

I'm not a fan of either. But, America is bigger than either. We have a separation of power, and a system of checks and balances.

Neither a Bachmann or Santorum would be able to institute some sort of Theocratic government.

If you fear either of them, then you don't have faith in our system of government.

7. J-School Blue

J-School Blue Member

This. The oral arguments from the administration have been painful to listen to, on this and health care. Of all the reasons to lose those cases at the Supreme Court, it's very frustrating that so much of it may come down to f-ups by the DoJ's own lawyers.

8. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Explain to me how this is Obama's fault. Should he be kibitzing every case in front of the Court? Has he ever argued a case in front of the Court, let alone this one? Even if you expect him to be a Con Law God, he wasn't a professor when these justices were around. Is he supposed to be a mind-reader?

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I hear ya . . . but it's Dr. Chu, by acclamation.

10. YankeeFan

Who hired the Solicitor General?

Do you think he wasn't briefed on the case prior to its filing? His Justice Department brought the case. They're not defending, they're challenging.

Yes, I would expect him to send in a competent team with a well defined argument.

It's really incredible how no one want to follow the trail to the top, now that their guy is in the Oval Office.

Scandal at the GSA & the Secret Service, military atrocities, and legal screw ups. But, none of this reflects on the guy at the top.

Must be nice.

11. YankeeFan

It's too bad the administration couldn't "Slow Jam" their legal arguments.

12. Uncle.Ruckus

Uncle.Ruckus Guest

Yep. Too bad.

Willard is a shoo-in now.

Draft saved Draft deleted