1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SCOTUS: Arizona Immigration Law

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Apr 25, 2012.

1. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

We'll see.

If they win, it won't be because the Administration argued the case well.

They've been embarrassed in oral arguments twice now.

2. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

It isn't too difficult.

The law isn't popular with Arizona's Hispanic population.

If it's affirmed, it hands Obama campaign an issue.

3. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

He taught Con Law, and I'm sure he knows about every area of Con Law at least generally as a trained lawyer and successful former law student, but I think he taught civil rights like the Reconstruction amendments. I don't think it's fair to snidely call him a "Constitutional Law professor" as if he should be a scholar in every single facet of Con Law. You don't just teach "Constitutional Law" any more than a quarterback plays defensive tackle.

4. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

. . . in what is currently a decidedly-swingy state.

5. YankeeFan

"Popular". Jesus.

I didn't think I'd get to use this line twice, on two different threads, just minutes apart:

The Soft Bigotry of Low Expectations.

Hispanics are too fucking stupid to understand the legal arguments and decision. They just know they don't like it, and will take it out on the Republican nominee, right?

Maybe, they'll think that the Administration acted cowardly, by challenging the law only on these grounds.

They didn't even challenge it as racist.

6. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

Hispanics in Arizona are going to vote for Obama.

This would just give them another reason.

You seem to live in a very strange world, man.

7. YankeeFan

We've been through this before. We both know he never held the title of "Constitutional Law Professor".

But, if he and his supporters want to play up these credentials, then they should own it.

If someone is acclaimed as a great head football coach, you wouldn't say that he doesn't know special teams because he's primarily an offensive guy. He's expected to know it all.

If he's a Constitutional expert, his lawyers shouldn't be getting their clocks cleaned on consecutive high profile cases.

They looked unprepared two times in a row. He can't find better lawyers? They can't make better arguments?

And, it doesn't reflect on him?

8. Zeke12

Zeke12 Guest

You've got six months to accept that Romney's probably gonna lose this election.

Clock's ticking.

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

. . . or they can hold hands with the party which gives Sherrif Joe a free pass.

Don't think that's happening.

People know selfish, power-hungry, mean people when they see them . . .

Arizona/POTUS: (D)

10. YankeeFan

Sure, a majority of them will.

But, if they have one reason to vote for Obama, a second reason isn't going to make their vote count twice.

This is a legal question. And, I'm not sure "voter intensity" is going to change the numbers, if the Obama Administration loses this case because they couldn't make a coherent legal argument.

The same state that elected Jan Brewer is going to vote for Barack Obama as a way of rewarding him for failing to overturn an immigration law?

11. old_tony

old_tony Well-Known Member

12. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Would that be the same state whose Senate president is being recalled because of his support of the legislation?

Draft saved Draft deleted