1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Scottie Pippen: LeBron could be better than MJ

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 21, May 27, 2011.

1. service_gamer

service_gamer Well-Known Member

I should have said as "the" guy. For Jordan, that was 91-93 and 96-98, and for Kobe, he was 1B in 00-02 and 1A in 09 and 10. Sorry you missed it.

I'm not trying to justify the behavior of Jordan or Kobe, but (as I believe someone else pointed out on this thread) there is a big difference between wanting a championship-level team and wanting to form the Super Friends. Kobe and Jordan want to beat the best, LeBron wants to join the best, again, at least from my point of view.

This brings me back to my point about giving Cavs management an inkling about the future. They did a pretty good job of putting together a competitive team in the short-term, so imagine what could have happened had LeBron decided to stay in Cleveland for the long haul. What drives me nuts is that Miami's playoff success has bred sympathy for the guy. More and more people are rationalizing his absurd behavior from last summer. Yes, it was his prerogative, but as far as I'm concerned, The Decision solidified two things: LeBron James is a douche and he will never hold a candle to Jordan, Kobe, or any of the other all-time greats.

2. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

LeBron reminds me a lot of Alex Rodriguez. Two supremely talented guys who were expected to be leaders, but are mentally wired to be followers. They spent too much time worrying that people didn't like them, but once ARod stopped caring, he finally won. I believe there is a correlation.

James appears to be getting to that point, too.

He is an all-World talent. But he lacks the built-in killer "f-you" instinct. Jordan had that. So did Bird and Magic, among others.

3. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Scottie Pippen clearly spent too much time on Dickson Street in his college days. It clouded his judgment. :)

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Didn't Pippen call one of the non-Jordan teams he played on (Probably in Houston) "The Most talented team I've ever been on."

Sounds like he's been more then willing to take shots at Jordan for quite some time.

5. MCbamr

MCbamr Member

http://youtu.be/VihlsPKMh4U

Go to 1:54.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Garnett also didn't stage a nationwide TV special to basically shove his dick in the face of the city he was leaving.

7. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Take it for what it is, one man's opinion. Just because Pippen is one of the best to ever play does not make him the best judge of the "Greatest Ever."

The Greatest Ever has to be either Russell or Magic or MJ simply because they dominated (Bird "only" won 3) yet made those around them better. Not so sure Jabbar ever made those around him great although also not sure Magic wins 5 without him.

8. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Yes, but when the opinion comes from one SportsJournalists.com pariah promoting another SportsJournalists.com pariah, well, the teeth gnashing is deafening.

9. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

Oh, Captain, you bitter, bitter person.

Who's "Jabbar"?

10. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Sorry I meant Mr. Alcindor.

11. zagoshe

zagoshe Well-Known Member

Isn't he one of the pilots who got sick and passed out on that flight because he ate bad chicken?

12. As The Crow Flies

As The Crow Flies Active Member

I understand some of the animosity toward James because of The Decision, but leaving Cleveland was about the only sane thing he could do if he wanted to win championships.

Mo Williams isn't even close to the wingman that Scottie Pippen was. And there wasn't much indication the supporting cast was going to get better in Cleveland. The year LeBron took the Cavs to the Finals, the next best player was probably Larry Hughes.

Draft saved Draft deleted