1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Scottie Pippen: LeBron could be better than MJ

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by 21, May 27, 2011.

1. You guys need to stop talking basketball because you sound stupid...almost all of you, especially Junkie and Carlton Banks....

To say that LeBron's a supporting player, and that he doesn't have guts down the stretch, and that he's two steps above a role player?

I know you guys don't like him as a person, but he's clearly the best player in the league today, and he was clearly the biggest reason the Heat the Bulls in four straight. Maybe you guys missed all those three's down the stretch.

You guys should either talk about this without emotion and give the man props for being a great player, or keep the stupid ass comments to yourself.

2. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

He's the NBA's best player. He has the opportunity to be one of the all-time greats, top 10 for sure, top five maybe. But he ain't Michael Jordan.

3. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Let's say you were starting a franchise and you had you choice of rookies like Chamberlain, Bryant, Jordan, Bird, Magic, Duncan, Hakeem, Kareem, Shaq and James. You also know that this rookie will be with your franchise until the player retires.

How many of you take James #1?

How many of you take James after everyone else has been taken?

4. JonnyD

JonnyD Member

I'd probably take him before Duncan, Bird, Hakeem, Bryant or Shaq. I'd think about taking him before Magic, too.

5. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

1. Jordan
    2. Magic
    3. Bird
    4. Hakeem
    5. Kareem
    6. Duncan
    7. LeBron
    8. Kobe
    9. Shaq
    10. Wilt

Jordan, Magic and Bird need no explanation. Hakeem, Kareem and Duncan are because no one has won the title without an all-star caliber big man in the last 30 years. Yes, the PFs for the 1990s Bulls teams and 2004 Pistons were all-star caliber. Then LeBron by a nose over Kobe, because he is, like Magic, a unique player physically for his position. Kobe barely behind LeBron because of his baggage. Then Shaq and Wilt because for all their "DOMINANCE!!!!!!" they were useless down the stretch; hence why neither won as many titles as he should have.

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

LBJ is pretty much where MJ was in 1990 or so. Yeah, he COULD end up better than MJ.

Kobe's window as a great player is closing fast, ditto for the Boston crew, Dallas will drop off soon when Kidd goes away and Dirk ages, OKC hasn't won any big playoff series yet, etc etc. So it's possible to see the Heat running off a string of titles in the next half-dozen years. But it's also possible to see him and Wade unable to coexist, one of them wants out, etc etc.

Also LeBron, like Magic, looks like a guy who is going to thicken up as the years go by. That could cost him a couple steps of foot speed and a half-foot of vertical leap, and the MJ comparisons will end.

7. LeBron is like Magic in that he affects the game in many ways and that he's a great facilitator. What he needs to do is get better. As good as he is at getting into the lane, he's not really that great off the dribble. He's improved his mid-range and perimeter shooting, but he badly needs a post up game, especially as he grows a little older.

That's what made Michael Jordan the best ever. As he matured into his 30's, he was still as lethal as ever because he countered age with the ability to score with his back to the basket. LeBron won't be a locamotive forever and ever. His legacy, along with his rings, will truly be determined by how much he can improve on and expand his game as time passes by

8. JonnyD

JonnyD Member

A guy that big putting 90+ games a year on his body from such a young age, I'm expecting him to age rather poorly.

9. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Tough to argue with that list. I would give Kobe the nod over James after the second championship run he had with Gasol, but that is minor.

For James to even be considered in the top three for me, he would need to win at least three NBA Titles. At least three.

10. Junkie,

you're proving yourself to be just as much of an idiot as I thought you were...no need to talk bball with you anymore.....

simpleton...lol

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I want Jordan to come out and say that Chris Bosh is better than Pippen. :D

12. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

Pippen also said LeBron could grow a better Hitler mustache than Jordan.

Draft saved Draft deleted