1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Scott Weiland Found Dead on Tour Bus

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Riptide, Dec 4, 2015.

1. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

I want to say I was reading an article in Details in 1994 that pretty much predicted that Weiland would die within the next few years because of his demons.

2. John

John Well-Known Member

I only own about eight or nine STP songs, but I love those eight or nine like crazy.

3. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

4. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

I could swear there was a rumor during STP's heyday that their drummer died, to the point that I just checked and was surprised to find out he was still alive. Did I make that up? I might have conflated it with the time the drummer for Smashing Pumpkins overdosed and got kicked out of the band.

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

This post epitomizes how much the world has changed for those of us who were around during STP's hey day.

You own STP songs.

bigpern23, dixiehack and Batman like this.
  6. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Maybe that's why their music has sucked for the past 20 years.

7. Dick Whitman

It's been OK. But they're a touring band, really. Like the Grateful Dead before them.

8. Craig Sagers Tailor

Craig Sagers Tailor Active Member

SP drummer Jimmy Chamberlin was a very destructive heroin addict and the band endured it for years until he was tripping with keyboardist Jonathan Melvoin during summer 96 and Melvoin died from it.

I believe “Angel” by Sarah McLachlan was written in tribute to Melvoin.

Filter drummer Matt Walker and even Soundgarden/PearlJam drummer Matt Cameron, the Kenny Lofton of alt rock, filled in some for Chamberlin on tours.

9. Dick Whitman

Not to make light of any of this, but I'd probably have to self-medicate, too, if I had to put up with Billy Corgan.

Big Circus and Mr. Sunshine like this.
  10. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Son of a bitch, I wish the Whitney Houston thread was still open........I'd go back and dig up my famous post.....

"When was her last hit?"
    My response......"About 20 minutes before she died."

Same applies here.

Songbird likes this.
  11. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Oh.......and Phil Collins says this is definitely not A1 material.

Bradley Guire and BDC99 like this.
  12. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

His new song "Way She Moves" is pretty good:

It's a shame he's gone, but as others said, not entirely surprising. As the saying goes, you never really recover from addiction problems ... and the traveling musician lifestyle doesn't help. RIP.

Draft saved Draft deleted