1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Scott Weiland Found Dead on Tour Bus

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Riptide, Dec 4, 2015.

1. exmediahack

exmediahack Well-Known Member

Damn. But not surprising.

One could not walk 20 minutes outside in Madison, Wisconsin in June 1993 without hearing "Plush" or Kravitz's "Are You Gonna Go My Way?"

STP had a pretty good run there in the mid 90s.

2. Big Circus

Big Circus Well-Known Member

They were also one of the most prominent users of that mid-90s production style that sounds really, really dated 20 years later. Something in the recording and production techniques used then tends to really pigeonhole these types of bands. And they flamed out pretty quickly. But the two albums you mention, especially Purple, are just loaded with great songs.

3. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

Kurt Cobain, Layne Staley, now Scott Weiland.

Is Eddie nervous a little?

4. Big Circus

Or Chris Cornell!

5. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

Shannon Hoon and Bradley Nowell, too.

And to answer your question, no. I think Eddie's just fine.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Was Eddie ever an addict?

7. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

He's not quite on his deathbed praying to the gods or angels like a pagan.

(One of the devastatingly great songs of any generation)

8. Big Circus

I haven't seen anything to suggest he was. It's worth pointing out that Pearl Jam evolved from Mother Love Bone, and Eddie joined up after Andrew Wood died of a heroin overdose. Makes sense that he and the rest of the band would be pretty gun-shy.

9. Dick Whitman

Not that I can recall. I think he's a big wine drinker.

Of all of the big name bands of that generation - and I would put Weezer in this category, as well - it seems that they consciously decided at some point they were going to be professionals, grow the fuck up, and make a career out of this.

10. Neutral Corner

Neutral Corner Well-Known Member

Weiland dying young, presumably of drug related causes, is about as surprising as Charlie Sheen getting Aids.

Damn shame though.

11. Dick Whitman

I don't think people are being glib when they say that they are surprised he made it this long. I always hoped he'd finally clean up for good. He seemed like a personable guy who enjoyed his job immensely.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I guess only Weiland or Robert Downey Jr., but not both, was going to make it out alive. Lot of lead changes in dead pools today.

Draft saved Draft deleted