1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Scott Rolen: Hall of Famer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Feb 27, 2011.

1. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

I hope anyone about to go to war over this understands I was just having a little fun with the "It's not the Hall of Very Good" crowd, which apparently is taking this far more seriously than I am. It's the Hall of Fame, and I think it's fair to point that out when people make the cornerstone of their case based on a play on the name, a name that isn't actually the name of the place.

But not being a voter, I'm curious: What does your ballot say? I am always tickled by arguments about the Heisman Trophy between people who don't know what the award honors. The Heisman ballot tells you what you're voting for: the most outstanding player in college football "whose performance best exhibits the pursuit of excellence with integrity."

Does the Hall of Fame ballot say what, exactly, you're voting for, or is it just that you're voting for election into the Hall of Fame? Is the word "great" on the ballot? I'm curious to know what it specifically calls for, and not what people think or assume.

2. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I think I lean more toward Rolen being in than out. I think there is a perception that 3B is a "power" position because it's a corner, but I'm not sure that this is entirely true. Maybe that accounts for why the number of third basemen enshrined tends to be lower than other positions.

To me, Rolen is a better version of JD Drew. Both have high values when you look at them with advances statistics, since they're patient hitters that'll take a walk and play defense, but both have bad reputations with fan bases and the media. I think both get flack for their contracts and actually taking themselves out the lineup and sitting 30 to 60 games a year, as opposed to contributing an 0-for-4 piece of shit day when their back is acting up. (I've never really "got" the hero worship that goes on when a guy who clearly shouldn't be playing through an injury is out there.)

3. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

"A better version of JD Drew" is not exactly the best Hall of Fame argument I have ever heard.

4. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

heh, Maybe not ;) Drew isn't as valuable (probably) because he plays an outfield corner, where it's normally easier to find a better bat. Both guys play 100 to 140 games most years. In Boston, Drew is about as popular as the plague, since he has the audacity to remove himself from the lineup for 25ish games a year, as opposed to being given the day off. I think fans are risk-adverse though - They'd rather have the sure mediocrity for 162 games than 120 to 140 random games of good.

5. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

In regards to Rolen being an HOFer, the first question I would want to know is he the best third basemen not in? Is he better than Santo? Ken Boyer? Darrell Evans? Buddy Bell? Terry Pendleton (kidding). Would it make sense to say his numbers and stats and elect him when a better player is out?

The second question is do his stats warrant him in going over a player at another position with better stats (since that idea has been floating on the board today)?

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I know when you're talking about catchers, shortstops and second basemen, people are often willing to look the other way if you're not close to any of the typical (and rapidly disappearing) HOF benchmarks like 500 HR, 3000 hits etc...

I don't think third base deserves the same treatment.

7. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Lazzeri. Joke.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Quick piece of trivia: What is the only team to have a Hall of Famer at every position?

Hint: It's not the Yankees.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Oh good, another worthless "Hall of Famer" thread... who are you going to start next? Mario Mendoza?

10. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It didn't come from me. "Baseball Prospectus" said he has already done enough to be in. Said it rather matter-of-factly, actually. So I wondered what the consensus was.

11. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

If you want to be technical, you can say ... the Pirates (note, I lcheated. I looked it up).

I say technical, because both Al Lopez and Connie Mack were catchers for the team, but went on to greater fame as managers.

C: Lopez/Mack
    1B: Jake Beckley/Willie Stargell
    2B: Mazeroski
    SS: Wagner
    3B: Pie Traynor
    OF: Clemente, both Waner brothers, Fred Clarke, Ralph Kiner, Hank Greenberg,
    P: A bunch of guys, none of whom were ever you ever remember for their Pirates run.

12. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

I'm going to guess the Pirates? If not them, the Cubs.

Draft saved Draft deleted