1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Scott Rolen: Hall of Famer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Feb 27, 2011.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's why Graig Nettles, Chris Chambliss and Don Mattingly are in the Hall of Fame.

2. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

You know, the magical Yankee fielder Nettles won only two gold glove awards vs. EIGHT for Rolen playing the exact same position, and Nettles only hit .248 for his career vs. .284 for Rolen. And the percieved power hitter Chambliss hit 185 HRs in his career vs. 303 (and counting) for Rolen, and won only one Gold Glove award vs. eight for Rolen.

Rolen is more deserving than either of those guys. And I'd say the fact that you think that's a legitimate argument here only attests to how wearing Yankee pinstripes can misleadingly inflate perceptions about how good players actually were.

3. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Yeah, too bad Kirby Puckett, Tony Gwynn, Paul Molitor and Willie Stargell never played in New York, and a good thing Fred Lynn and Dwight Evans played in Boston. Rolen would not be a Hall of Famer even if he had been a Yankee lifer.

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Who are the Yankees Hall of Famers who don't belong? The only one I can think of is Phil Rizzuto, and he got in through the Vet Committee.

5. JC

JC Well-Known Member

So how do his stats compare to some of the middle infileders that have made tha hall? Of coure you compare positions, if not how the hell do you put Ozzie Smith in?
    For the record i don't believe for a second he should be in but to say you don't comare positins is ridiculous.

6. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Mattingly had a much better peak than Rolen and his peak is why he's in, but for career value, the biggest difference is that Mattingly did it with singles and Rolen did it with walks and power.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

That is not what I said. Did you even read my last post before responding?

I said you can absolutely credit him for playing a tougher defensive position and for playing it so well, but no way should the relative lack of third basemen in the Hall of Fame help any third baseman to get in.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

You do realize that Mattingly isn't in the Hall of Fame, right?

9. RickStain

I did not. He's not also the Bears' backup, is he?

10. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

Also, Mattingly was hardly a singles hitter. Did you see him play?

He hit a ton of balls into the gap and was the consummate doubles hitter. He also had just as much power as Rolen and drove in more runs before he went down hill. He hit a home run in 8 consecutive games during one of the last years of his run, hit 6 grand slams that year, and his home run numbers during his good years were just better than Rolen's were in his prime; and before the era of smaller ballparks and guys hitting 60+ HRs.

Mattingly doesn't belong in. He didn't last long enough. Neither does Rolen. He's not quite good enough. But if you were making Mattingly out to be a slap hitter or a singles hitter, you're off.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

That's pretty funny.

Also, as for the question, absolutely positively not. And only b/c Bubbler already took "Fuck no."

12. RickStain

I was saying for the purposes of comparing him to Rolen, Mattingly's biggest edge was singles. They both hit a ton of doubles.

Which is all moot, because apparently I imagined him being in the HOF.

Draft saved Draft deleted