1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Scott Rolen: Hall of Famer?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Dick Whitman, Feb 27, 2011.

1. doogie448

doogie448 Member

Two words: Ron Santo.

2. jackfinarelli

jackfinarelli Well-Known Member

3. JC

JC Well-Known Member

If you are not comparing him to other third basemen who do you compare him to?

4. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

If the Hall of Very Good is for those who don't make the cut, then shouldn't Cooperstown be the home of the Hall of Great?

I always think of this when people use that argument. It's the Hall of Fame.

And no, I'm not saying he belongs. Just one of my many quirks.

5. rpmmutant

rpmmutant Member

Scott Rolen = Troy Glaus. Both really good players, but not quite Hall of Famers. Chipper Jones is the bar for this generation of third basemen. A-Rod is the only one who surpasses it, and he played shortstop for the greater part of his career. David Wright might be of HOFer one day. Ryan Zimmerman might one day too. He needs to be on a better team though.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Every other hitter. You want to give him an edge over a first baseman or an outfielder due to his position? Ok. I can see that. But to say you have to lower the standard for a third baseman because there aren't enough in there is bullshit.

7. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

That's fair. It's not that he should be in to add to the cosmic balance between the positions. It's just that the shortage of 3B shows how undervalued the position has been. Many great offensive 1b or corner OF with similar total value to a guy like Rolen has gotten in.

8. Mark2010

Mark2010 Active Member

Rolen not a Hall of Famer, IMO. Chipper Jones? Yes.

9. MrHavercamp

MrHavercamp Member

That would be a no. Both before checking the stats and after. And I like what he did over the bulk of his career.

10. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

Rolen is twice the player Glaus ever was; his defense sets him apart. And Rolen never got caught receiving PEDs through the mail.

11. shockey

shockey Active Member

SORRY, but i and most others do consider it the 'hall of GREAT.' for those who argue that it's 'hall of FAME,' well, y'all are taking something that wasn't expected to be taken literally, well, literally. it's the 'hall of FAME' simply because that sounds classier.

12. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

It's not the Hall of Great. You may wish it to be, you may try to make it that going forward, but the number of not great players already in is hard to ignore

Draft saved Draft deleted