1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Scott Pollard: Phil Jackson 'One Of The Most Overrated Coaches Of Our Time'

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Deeper_Background, May 13, 2011.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Snore.

Dear Pollard:

The job of an NBA coach is not to 'develop talent' or 'rein in' his team. It is to win games, and ultimately championships.

If, in order to do that, he has to 'develop talent' or 'rein in the team,' he needs to do that too, but the bottom line is whether he wins or not.

Jackson has won a lot of games and championships. Like it or not that means he has certainly been one of the most successful coaches in NBA history.

2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Just ridiculous.

3. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

What's harder to do: Build a playoff team in a league where literally half the teams make the playoffs every year and you don't even need a winning record to get there plenty of years, or to be the last team standing at the end of the longest post-season grind in sports?

I think it's fairly obvious.

4. Mark McGwire

Mark McGwire Member

What do the Stanley Cup playoffs have to do with anything?

5. How is any of it ridiculous? Honestly, I'm waiting for Geico's "Was Phil Jackson overrated?" commercial.

6. nmmetsfan

nmmetsfan Active Member

They tried to ask a former MU player's opinion, but they couldn't find one in the NBA. ;)

7. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

Game, set and match.

8. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I'm pretty much always going to be a Scot Pollard apologist, but I can't get behind on this one.

To be fair though, he's always owned up to his role in Roy's tournament flame outs, probably to the point of taking too much of the burden on himself.

9. SoCalScribe

SoCalScribe Member

How do you win that many titles, still widely inspire derision and vitriol -- witness this thead -- and yet somehow still qualify as overrated?

Eleven titles. Considered by many to be a hack who got lucky. Yet somehow overrated?

This is why people like Simmons (might as well throw some more gas on the fire) make fun of the whole concept of overrated/underrated. A guy wins 11 titles and he's overrated, even though a lot of people think he's a piece of garbage, which in theory would affect his rating.

It doesn't even begin to parse.

10. service_gamer

service_gamer Well-Known Member

How? Well, for one, you're questioning the legitimacy of the two championship seasons in a manner that suggests the burden of proof should be on those who choose not to believe that those titles were fixed. If you're going to copy and paste contrivances from some Sacramento Kings message board, at least get a little more detailed in your argument. I understand you "really" wanted to get that Geico joke in there, but reinforcing the absurd premise that Jackson is overrated by stating that his 2000 and 2002 titles were tainted with "because I said so" logic is pathetic. It makes birthers look intellectual by comparison.

Oh, and just to clarify, did the NBA script a 15-point fourth quarter deficit in Gm. 7 of the 2000 WCF, then proceed to force the Blazers into settling for ill-advised jumpers? And did they rig it so that Robert Horry's game-winner in Gm. 4 of the 2002 WCF would go in, preventing an impossible 3-1 deficit?

11. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Phil Jackson? Overrated?

OK ... YOU try managing the massive ego of the superstar, the constantly-downtrodden egos of the "supporting cast" and see if you can come out on top 11 times.

The "riding on the coattails of a great player" argument might work for one title, maybe two. But 11? Call Phil Jackson every dirty name in the book, if you wish. But that doesn't make him overrated.

Scot Pollard is an original, and usually not a meathead. But he's got this one wrong.

Draft saved Draft deleted