1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Scott Carter leaving Tampa

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Aug 21, 2010.

1. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

this time on his own. The Pipeline reports he's headed to U Florida to become the Web site writer, I think in a similar gig to what my old colleague Jeff White got at UVA. The Pipeline is always appreciated but probably wasn't necessary in this case. I think Scott has it on his Facebook page.

Good for Scott, a terrific reporter and better guy.

2. Diego Marquez

Diego Marquez Member

Great move for Scott. Wishing him nothing but the best in his new digs.

3. WBarnhouse

WBarnhouse Member

And hope he loads up on notepads, paper clips and pens as he leaves the paper that screwed him over.

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

I don't think there's enough paper clips in America...but glad he's leaving on his terms.

5. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Yet another example of a good writer leaving a newspaper for a web site. Could it be that there aren't any suits at web sites?

6. Fran Curci

Fran Curci Well-Known Member

I'm not familiar with the Web site in question --- is it run by the University of Florida?

7. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

If it's like White's gig in Charlottesville, yes, it's run by the University. The writer reports to an associate A.D. outside of media relations, I believe.

8. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

Egad. And the wheel continues to turn at Mother Trib. With football season starting in less than two weeks, I wonder how they're going to fill the beat. In-house? Are there enough people left at what used to be Florida's largest sports department?

Good for Scott, of course.

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

Hopefully, it went like this:

10. mediaguy

mediaguy Well-Known Member

Was the Tribune really Florida's largest sports department? I guess I was thinking Miami had that honor.

11. reformedhack

reformedhack Well-Known Member

That's what we were told, anyway. For a brief, shining moment in the late 1980s and early 1990s, the Trib Sports roster exceeded 65 full-time employees, with bureaus from Tallahassee to Miami, and everyone assigned to the sports department (as opposed to answering to local news editors).

12. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

More than 65 in sports alone? That's staggering.

Draft saved Draft deleted