1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Scott Brown Saves the Union

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Jan 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

I thought the GOP hated unions. Wouldn't they be mad at Cosmo Brown for saving one?

2. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

Unintentional irony is often the best form.

3. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

Cao represents an overwhelmingly Democratic (D+28 Partisan Voting Index rating) district in New Orleans, and was only elected because he was going against an incumbent who got caught with $90,000 in cash in his freezer ("Dollar Bill Jefferson"). If he has any hope of getting re-elected this year, he has to vote in favor of health care reform. And even on the first house vote, he didn't cast his vote until the Democrats already had the 218 votes needed and (presumably) he was released by the Republican leadership.

As for Snowe, she voted in favor of the stimulus, but only after it had been watered down considerably. And I think there was some specific appropriation for Maine in the bill.

4. Ashy Larry

Ashy Larry Active Member

sure is. Sorry, I'm not a Republican....didn't think we should have went to Iraq. I actually look at each candidates record and vote accordingly, not because of a "D" or "R".

I will say, never in the history of the internet has someone chosen a more apt handle than you Cousin Oliver. You're annoying, childish and ruin everything you're in. Congrats.

5. Cousin Oliver

Cousin Oliver New Member

I'm sorry you feel that way.

6. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Harry Reid is the weakest Senate Majority Leader in history.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Can someone clarify the "no politics" rule for me, again?

Thanks.

8. Cousin Oliver

Cousin Oliver New Member

Harry Reid, as far as I can tell, did his job. He got a bill passed in the Senate and according to the stories I read it was going to be improved in committee.

Not to be crass, but if somebody wants to make an argument that Ted Kennedy should have bowed out or retired years ago, or done a better job of preparing a successor, then I'm all ears.

It should never have come to this.

9. Magic In The Night

Magic In The Night Active Member

I'm amazed that no one sent up a flag until like a week ago that anything was amiss as far as holding this seat. I'd say the Democratic Party in Massachusetts has to take the blame for this one, if it goes down. And I'm not entirely sure it will, given that both campaigns' polling had it a dead heat. My fiance was making calls last night on Coakley's behalf and he said almost everyone he called said they planned to go out and vote for her and that they had received dozens of calls from various organizations on her behalf. Which tells me that there is a LOT of behind the scenes work going on.

10. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

That may have been a bit out-of-whack response to someone who asked a question you agree with.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.