1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Scott Brown Saves the Union

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Jan 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Brown was outside Fenway Park shaking hands before the Bruins game. Coakely did not want to be out in the cold.

2. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Suburbia, great points. I had the same line of thinking you have about the current state of things right now.

The Dems infighting over how to stay on the same page over HCR, the GOP on the verge of a civil war between the moderates and the Bible belt wing, will make this must-see viewing thru this year.

3. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

Nice try, Boom. But since the Senate has already voted on it, the House could just pass the Senate bill and be done with it.

A Brown win could actually work out to be a positive in the end. It would certainly give the voters a taste of what the other teabagger candidates will do if they win.

4. Like fishy said,

The House only needs to vote on the Senate bill which has already passed, and then the diffrences are ironed out through reconciliation. No re-vote needed.

It'll piss a lot of people off, but who cares?

I though the best part of health care reform would be the whining cries of Republicans when it passed 60-40.

But now, the best part will be when it passes and Republicans wet their pants by crying "It's not fair."

I can't wait.

5. THIS WEEK:

Senator Judd Gregg, Republican of New Hampshire, said that if Brown were elected, rushing a bill through or using reconciliation to pass it "would be Chicago politics at its worst.’’

"You’re talking about basically an approach that says we’re going to do whatever we want, and because we’ve got power, independent of what people think or say or how they may vote,’’ he said in a telephone interview last night.

UNDER BUSH:

"The point, of course, is this: If you have 51 votes for your position, you win," Gregg told his Senate colleagues on the floor.

He added, "Reconciliation is a rule of the Senate (that) has been used before for purposes exactly like this on numerous occasions... Is there something wrong with majority rules? I don't think so."

6. Oggiedoggie

Oggiedoggie Well-Known Member

Joe Kennedy still has a chance.

All those Tea Party folks are supposed to like libertarians.

7. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

Harry Reid will need to have the balls to actually pull the trigger on reconciliation. And if Coakley loses tonight, I'm not even sure they can get 50 Democrats plus VP Joe Biden to stay together. If a Democrat with the party establishment's backing can lose in Massachusetts, it could cause even some normally loyal Democrats to get cold feet.

8. fishhack2009

That's hilarious. All of a sudden the same tactics that were okay when they ran the show are "Chicago Politics."

9. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

I GUARANTEE Brown wins.

If he doesn't, I won't post for two weeks.

Funniest thing I saw all day was the Fox News boys purposely suppressing their
    Cheshire grins, while pretending it's still wide-open . . . anything to avoid
    discouraging any potential GOP voters.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

There is much truth to what you say.

11. Cousin Oliver

Cousin Oliver New Member

I have faith that my friends at ACORN will push Coakley over the line -- if you know what I mean. ;)

12. fishhack2009

After the way Harry Reid kissed Joe Lieberman's ass after 2008, I think it's safe to say Harry Reid has no balls.

Reid is a major disappointment. The Dems need someone who's not afraid to kick the other side in the nuts from time to time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.