1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Scott Brown Saves the Union

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil Bastard (aka Chris_L), Jan 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 21

21 Well-Known Member

Maybe if folks just treated it as a major news story, and not an opportunity to relive second grade, we could have these occasional threads?

2. Maybe you suck.

3. Chef2

Chef2 Well-Known Member

End well, this won't.

End soon, this will.

4. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Amen, Fudgie, amen. If 59 out of 100 isn't a majority, then that's what you call voodoo math.

5. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

I didn't know that Mass was going to have a special election to fill Teddy's seat. I thought they were going to do that next November, but given the HCR and other stuff in Congress, I can understand why they are doing this now.
    I find the Brown story interesting, not as much about who he is and what he's for, but for how Martha Coakley can be that gaffe-prone and think that this was going to be a walk in the park.
    Call me crazy, but if there is anything that Teddy's constituents hate and that's being taken for granted and being frozen out, which is what Coakley is in trouble for.

If she wins, she's one lucky and fortunate person.

6. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

[​IMG]

Glad to see the knuckle-dragging attack brigade is alive and well. No quicker way to get a thread you don't like locked than to start spewing cyber diarrhea.

Glad to see you haven't lost your touch Fudgie...

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  7. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

That's rich.

8. suburbia

suburbia Active Member

Before this thread gets locked, I'll just say that Martha Coakley may have run one of the worst major election campaigns I have ever seen. She may still pull it out, and I hope she does. But she deserves to lose, and she has no one to blame but herself if she does.

That being said, Coakley's errors don't change the fact that the Democrats have validated the stereotype of them that they can talk and campaign but not actually close the deal. The White House needed to be out in front of the message from the beginning, giving at least a clear framework of what it wanted in healthcare reform, the stimulus or any of its other initiatives, and clearly state how they would benefit the American people. President Obama then needed to be willing to get down and dirty, and twist arms if need-be, to get that accomplished. I initially thought using reconciliation wasn't worth the other political risks. But hindsight shows that he should have been prepared to go that route from the beginning, and then done so once Lieberman began acting up (I can excuse Ben Nelson, since he has to run for re-election in a very red state). Basically, Obama needed to LEAD and do the dirty work, and demanded that Harry Reid do the same.

Instead, Obama didn't want to do the dirty work. It seemed like he didn't give a damn what the final product was as long as he got something he could slap a "reform" label on and use as a trophy in his next campaign. He left a large message void, one the Republicans were very willing to swoop in and fill. And once the political narrative is set, it's VERY hard to break.

President Obama didn't lead the way in the beginning and wasn't willing to get tough in the middle. And he and his party may pay a VERY steep price in the end.

9. fishhack2009

fishhack2009 Active Member

Isn't it funny that the people who just four years ago were screaming that everything should have an up-and-down vote have once again fallen in love with the filibuster?

10. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Check your facts Dooley. The reconciled bill needs to be voted on before it is sent to President.

Won't happen now unless democrats decide to make end run and stage vote before Brown is seated.

11. Brooklyn Bridge

Brooklyn Bridge Well-Known Member

being close (distance wise) to the situation,I would say the Coakley has run one of the worst campaigns in modern history. WHat candidate takes 3 months off and then comes back two weeks to go with attack ads..

Brown was seen at the Garden, in Southie, meeting and greeting the middle class. Ted Kennedy worked the crowd even though he knew he would win. In politics you have to ask people for their vote. Coakley never did that.

The democratic machine already in place may save her ass, but she does not deserve it.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I agree with this. You've got to work hard to blow Teddy's seat.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.