1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Scott Boras needs to be stopped. Now.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PhilaYank36, Jun 30, 2007.

1. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Selig is a stuffed-shirt walking hemorroid of a man, but I think a lot of the rancor about his ideas is misplaced.

Wild card? Wildly successful. Baseball purists act like it's the NBA or NHL and a good sampling of shit teams are getting in. In fact, it's rare that a team with under 90 wins makes it, the Cardinals were an exception that proved the rule last year. It wasn't really good for baseball in the two division days when excellent teams like the '80 Orioles (100 wins), '03 Giants (100 wins) and several teams with 95 wins or more missed out on the playoffs.

Interleague play? Also successful. Detractors can bitch and moan all they want about unbalanced schedules influencing the wild card, etc. (to me it's a matter of just shutting up and fucking winning), but the fans love it, as evidenced by the attendance and major interest in the most attractive matchups. And for all the predictable grousing about shit interleague matchups like Royals-Pirates (Hi Oz! :D) or Devil Rays-Rockies, no one ever complains about shitty intraleague matchups like Royals-Rangers or Nationals-Reds. (Hi Moddy/Freelance Hack! :D)

Luxury tax? I think it's the fairest economic system going. You pay to play. If the Yankees want to blow money like a coke fiend at Studio 64, fine. If the Royals don't, fine too. It puts the onus on the organizations to produce, not on some artificial cap which protects bad organizations and punishes good ones. It would be nice if some of the luxury tax recipients spent more than they do, but again, it goes back to an organizational decision. Some are good, some suck.

I'm not saying at all that Selig is batting 1.000. Contraction, the delayed response to steroids, and obviously, his role in killing the '94 postseason were brainless. But those fuckups are counterbalanced somewhat by decisions that have made the game more appealing.

People are voting with their feet, attendance is high as ever.

2. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

The neutral WS site is idiotic. The nine-game series is foolish. Having a World Series Weekend gala, though, is a smart move. Why make everyone wait until mid-November, when the clean-up crews are done pick up after the WS champ's ticker-tape parade and the country is in full-on football mode, to announce the awards winners? ESPECIALLY when the balloting ends the day after the regular season finale. Same with the HOF voting. Here are three modest proposals:

1) Give home-field advantage to whichever team has the best record. Fuck the All-Star Game, "Now it counts" BS

2) Start the World Series Sunday @ 7:00 so most of the people can catch the game after football and not still be up until 1:30 ET.

3) Beginning with the Friday before the WS, have this so-called "World Series Weekend" gala that Boras came up with in the city of the team with HFA(home-field advantage for our slower members). Create tons of parties, interactive fan festivals, autograph shows with some of each team's current & former stars, topped off with a season awards ceremony and a separate HOF ceremony. The more you think about it, this would be a gold mine for MLB, ESPN/FOX/whoever is broadcasting and the host city.

3. Norrin Radd

Norrin Radd New Member

Movie.

Eight Men Out.

Took place in 1919.

Depicted the Series as being a best-of-nine.

That's how I knew the Series spent a brief period as Best-of-nine.

Was surprised no one else mentioned remembering that.

4. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Oh. Right.

I thought you sounded surprised that it was depicted that way ... and of course, it was depicted that way because, well, it was that way. Glad I asked first. :D

Sayles did an outstanding job of adapting the book accurately, even if the book itself was inaccurate in some very key ways ...

5. I concur.

7-game World Series is good enough as it is.

Why fix something that is broke?

6. Yes, because there is no incentive for the lying, pocket-lining, public-teat-sucking, poor-mouthing weasels who own major-league baseball teams to approve of this, because Scott Boras invented greed.

7. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

I know I'm in the vast minority here, but I like the idea of the two neutral site games. It would give clubs that aren't usually in it to host the one of the biggest yearly sporting events.

It might wake up a fan base and get the locals more into it.

Hey, I'm just an optimistic chick here.

8. "If it wasn't best out of nine this year, they'd be cooked."

-- Studs Terkel, as Hughie Fullerton.

9. She approves.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  10. Del_B_Vista

Del_B_Vista Active Member

If they would consider starting the two extra games in the afternoon, I'd be more inclined to go for it.

11. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I'm with you, Del. If you sold those two extra games as Saturday afternoon affairs, I think you might be able to sell it to a lot of people.

12. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

There was more than one best-of-nine series . . . including 1920's, which the Indians won, five games to two.

Draft saved Draft deleted