1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Scott Boras needs to be stopped. Now.

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by PhilaYank36, Jun 30, 2007.

1. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

This jag-off has gone off the deep-end for sure. A NINE-GAME WORLD SERIES? Are you fucking kidding me? Him and Bonds should be dropped off on a deserted island in the South Pacific & be forgotten.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2921970

2. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I don't think this is happening any time soon, but this isn't THAT crazy an idea.

3. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I gotta agree. I could conceivably see it.

4. Cadet

Cadet Guest

What would be the purpose of it? Aside from making more money on tickets/concessions/merchandise?

It certainly wouldn't be for ratings. Nor would it be because we really need nine games to determine the better team.

5. HandsomeHarley

HandsomeHarley Well-Known Member

Like everything, and like Boras, it all comes down to money. And the more that asshole can line his pockets with.

A greedy, greedy creep.

6. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

wasnt the world series originally a nine game series? Like 1903-ish?

7. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

Not only is nine-games too long (think of it: Game 9 of the World Series followed the week after by a Lions/Cowboys Thanksgiving snooze-fest), but being the host of a World Series should be earned, not awarded to the highest bidder. So Wrigley Field & the Cubs want to host a World Series? Fine. Develop a better farm system, hire competent coaches & front office staff and be smarter with the free agents you sign. Then you can have your World Series.

Also, think about how it impacts the players. The pitchers & catchers will have been playing since mid-February. Ladies & gentlemen, that is 10 months away from home. 10 months of wear & tear on your body and more opportunities to blow out a shoulder, elbow or knee. Look at the White Sox, Tigers & Cardinals, all of whom are suffering from a nasty case of a World Series hangover.

Like it was stated in the article: this is just a money-making idea which does nothing to improve the product on the field.

8. indiansnetwork

indiansnetwork Active Member

The worst aspect of this whole thing is that Bud Selig is said to be considering doing it.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

The original World Series, in 1903, was a best-of-nine (although it was almost best-of-11!)

The 1919, 1920 and 1921 World Series were also best-of-nine, as owners -- fearful that interest in recreational pursuits had died with the Great War -- experimented with the idea that more games would mean more fan interest. (Never overlooking the fact that more games also meant more revenue.)

Hmm, some things never change ...

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

If a nine-game series meant a couple of the games could be played on Saturday afternoons, I'd think some folks would be all for it.

11. Eagleboy

Eagleboy Guest

It doesn't say that anywhere. It just says that he's going to meet with Boras to discuss it. He'll probably just laugh in his face, but it's the least he can do (and the most respectful, I would say).

And I wouldn't necessarily it would change a whole lot about the season; sure, it's 10 months away from the players' homes, but at that, it's only for 50 players, and maybe their seasons are two days longer. It's not like they're proposing a best-of-37.

12. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

I think the idea is that the first couple games could be played at a neutral site, planned in advance, to create a postseason event -- sort of a baseball celebration. Lots of corporate dollars in something like that -- tourism, sponsorship, etc. Finals weekend at the WBC in San Diego last year was a blast despite cool weather.

Draft saved Draft deleted