1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Scotland soccer question...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by bydesign77, Feb 15, 2008.

1. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

As much as I love the sport, I really have no clue about European soccer leagues or matches, etc.

So, I'm headed to Scotland this summer and figured while I was across the pond, I would take in a match. But I have no clue where to look for a schedule of matches or what leagues there are, etc.

I know we have some fellow "lawn fairies" on the board, hoping to get some help there.

Thanks!

2. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Depends what level you want. If you can get tickets to a Ranger or Celtic match, you'll be set and it's a sight to see. If you want a lesser level, Dundee or Dundee United could always work. I knew someone who played for Dundee United through a summer camp and he said the atmosphere was ridiculous.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

William Wallace: Sons of Scotland! I am William Wallace.
    Second Soldier: William Wallace is seven feet tall!
    William Wallace: Yes, I've heard. Kills men by the hundreds. And if HE were here, he'd consume the English with fireballs from his eyes, and bolts of lightning from his arse.

4. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Most leagues start in late August, as does the Scottish Premier League, methinks. I really don't know anything about getting tickets, though.

You should try talking to GB-Hack or Pastor, they can probably give you some specifics.

5. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

If the OP doesn't mind a quick jaunt on RyanAir, Ireland's league runs on a summer schedule.

http://www.eircomloi.ie:82/

6. TwoGloves

TwoGloves Well-Known Member

Celtic vs. Rangers would be your best option.

7. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

You're SOL if you're going in the summer. Some of the SPL sides will have started preseason training camps, but most of the time they play training matches overseas (like Celtic playing in the US last summer).

If you're there May 31 and June 1, go to the rugby 7s international tournament ... http://www.edinburgh7s.com/

There's also baseball ... http://www.leaguelineup.com/welcome.asp?url=baseballscotland

Shinty, Scotland's version of Irish hurling, is now played in the summer. You could check that out.

8. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

I'd suggest reading up on the history of the Old Firm before you go. Of course you're unlikely to see a match in the summer, but if you're in Glasgow try to go on a tour of either Ibrox (where Rangers play) or Celtic Park. The history of those two clubs is amazing.

Draft saved Draft deleted