1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Scorsese, Foxx, Tyson ...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Songbird, Mar 16, 2015.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Ding-Ding.

Mike wants us to choose his favorite knockouts.

2. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

The Pinklon Thomas knockout always stood out to me, because Tyson actually had to earn that one and Thomas was a good boxer with a great chin.

There were fights where his opponent was knocked out before the fight even started, like Bruce Seldon and Lou Savarese.

Most iconic would obviously be Spinks.

My vote for the BEST would be Marvis Frazier. I think Tyson landed something like 30 punches in 25 seconds. He knocked Frazier unconscious with an uppercut, and was so quick he landed three or four more punches before Frazier even hit the ground.

3. Songbird

Just saw the Marvis one. Top 3. Michael Jack Johnson got obliterated as well.

4. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Forgot how great the Johnson KO was. Gets up from a rib shot and proceeds to immediately walk into a right hook to the head. LOL.

If caliber of opponent factors in here, the two KOs of Frank Bruno are pretty spectacular as well.

5. Songbird

Great to see some of those locales: Latham, Troy, Stephenville, Glens Falls.

6. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

Frazier is probably my favorite.

7. RecoveringJournalist

RecoveringJournalist Well-Known Member

It's funny, I was reading an article on Tyson in SI this week and the writer made reference to being the "Mike Tyson beat writer" for the Albany paper.

I wonder if he covered him full-time or if that was just the fancy way of saying he was the boxing writer while also doing a bunch of other stuff.

At my first paper, we had a boxing writer, and that was the bulk of what he did. He probably only wrote 60-70 stories a year and I'd bet 40-50 were boxing stories and the rest were NFL sidebars.

Those were the days.

Draft saved Draft deleted