1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Scoring question - Little league edition

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rhody31, Jun 30, 2011.

1. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Right, so far so good. But what I don't understand is the idea that if the batter (who hit the homer) missed first, he's out (I get that part) but the runners have to return to where they were (I don't get that part).

2. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Doesn't matter. You're just supposed to put "great offensive effort by Jimmy Nitwit" anyway.

3. OJ1414

OJ1414 Member

According to MLB scoring rules (which I assume in this instance would match with LL rules), it would be 1-3 if the appeal happened after the play had ended. If it happened during the course of the original play, it would be different. Here's the applicable rule:

From MLB rule 10.10
    There are no rules that would disallow the runs with less than two outs.

4. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

The runners should NOT have been returned to their bases. They're awarded four bases (obviously no more than home) by virtue of the home run. The appeal has no bearing on them. The batted ball was deemed to have entered dead ball territory on the fly and that is award to the batter AND the runners.

BTW, which umpire made the call? Plate or field? (I'm assuming a two-man system)

5. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Not sure, wasn't at the game, but I'm guessing it had to be the field ump who called it a HR and the plate ump who said he missed first.

6. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

That woulda been backwards in LL if they were following proper mechanics. I was just wondering.

7. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

I guess this is why I can't be a Little League umpire, thank God, but I would never ever call a Little League batter out on a home run for missing a base. I would have no moral problem with just pretending I missed it.

(The only exception would be if I didn't like the kid's dad. In that case I might call him out with Frank Drebin fanfare.)

8. Brian

Brian Well-Known Member

I remember being on a team that lost a game-winning home run because one of our players dared give the third-base coach a low-five rounding the base.

I have no problem calling that home plate umpire a Nazi in hindsight. I understand that it's in the rules, but a 12-year old kid is not going to be citing rule 5B Appendix 3.3 in his mind when he just hit a game-winning homer.

9. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Actually, the rule says he can't assist the runner, not not touch.

No way I ever, EVER call that!

Draft saved Draft deleted