1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Scoring question - Little league edition

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rhody31, Jun 30, 2011.

1. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

Just got a tough one from a co-worker.
    Kid hits a shot to center that one hops the fence. Umps rule a home run, the two kids on base score as does the kid who hit the shot.
    After fighting over if it was a homer or not, visiting team protests and says kid who hit the ball missed first. Ump calls the kid out for missing the bag.
    What does that go down as? We have no idea. Putout 1-3 with two RBIs?

2. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

The runners aren't sent back to their bases? If it bounced over the fence, it should be a ground-rule double.

3. printdust

printdust New Member

Give them all orange slices and cover the fight brewing in the stands between parents.

Looks like they got the call half-right. But I think it is 3U on the putout

4. If the runner failed to tag first and is ruled out on an appeal play, the other two baserunners do not score. They must return to their original bases, because the batter/runner was put out at first.

First baseman gets a putout. I couldn't find any ruling about an assist on the play.

5. bpoindexter

bpoindexter Active Member

How many outs were there? I'm thinking those two runs score anyway, even if the appeal on the hitter missing first rules him out as the third out.

6. Rhody31

Rhody31 Well-Known Member

I know it should have been a ground rule double, but the umps said it cleared the fence. My co-worker asked our photog - who was camped out in center - and he said it was 10 feet short.
    There were less than two outs, so I figured the runs count because it's still a home run, but it's no longer a scorebook home run because the kid missed first. I'm still baffled.

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I would mark it down as a complete FU

8. Freelance Hack

Freelance Hack Active Member

Agree with Ace. Plus, scoring at a Little League game is in bad form, even if the Little League mom is hot. Get her number. Get in her pants later.

9. Rhody, there is no dispensation in the Rules of Baseball for a "scorebook" home run. If the batter missed first base, and the appeal is upheld, nobody advances because batter never reached base. If it's the third out, the inning is over. Less than three outs, continue play with the runners on base.

The ground rule double is a red herring. If the umpire says the ball went over the fence, and I'm assuming instant replay is not used in this league, then the ball went over the fence. (Regardless, if he missed first, runners would return on the ground rule double, too.)

10. HanSenSE

HanSenSE Well-Known Member

OK, Rhody saying it bounced over threw me off. If the ump says its a homer, its a homer. Almost sounds like the grand slam single in the Braves-Mets playoff a few years back then.

11. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I'm seriously just asking:

If there are fewer than two outs, why do the runners have to return? Their advancing wasn't contingent on whether the batter was out (it wasn't a fly-ball out) and the runners had to run in either case. This might simply be a scoring rule I'm not aware of and actually just wondering, not trying to be a smart ass.

12. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

If it is ruled a home run, ALL runners advance home. That is an awarded base. They get to advance without challenge.

So in this scenario, they score and it stands.

If this was the third out, then the score does not stand.

I'm going to double check my rule book in a minute, but I'm pretty sure that's right.

Draft saved Draft deleted