1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Scooter Libby found guilty on 4 of 5 counts

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Big Chee, Mar 6, 2007.

1. I have no trouble believing that. While Illinois has shifted hard away from the GOP since the Ryan scandal, Fitzgerald has a future in legislative politics if he wants it.

2. PopeDirkBenedict

PopeDirkBenedict Active Member

Or he can wait until 2010 and run against Governor Hair

3. That might be a better bet.
    Prosecutors generally go for the executive these days.

4. Yeah, I don't get how Blagojevich rose so much so fast. About 10-12 years ago, he was my fucking Alderman. My mom worked on his campaign. Now he's governor?

5. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

Perjury is peanuts, obstruction is plutonium.

It wasn't that he told a lie, but rather told a series of lies that always were in his favour and his superiors'. Telling a lie, happens all the time. Telling lies to an end, deep shit.

Scooter is the fall guy, natch. But based on the culture of this White House, if duplicity were a felony, Cheney should be reprising Burt Lancaster in Birdman.

YHS, etc

6. I always felt that way about D'Amato in NY.
    One day a county commissioner, the next day, a senator.
    I always pictured the other guys on the county commission, showing up one morning and wondering why Al wasn't at his desk.

7. Lugnuts

Lugnuts Well-Known Member

Boy, the jury sure took this seriously. I've heard lawyers say: "99% of the time, the jury rises above human status to do a great job."

That's what happened here. They really broke it down. One of the jurors was saying they felt compassion toward Libby, but the facts pointed squarely for a conviction.

I still say this thing is stretched out until a pardon can be issued.

-----------------

Last night Joe Wilson was pissed that Bush and Cheney were using the word "saddened" for Libby and his family, and Wilson wanted to know who was "saddened" about what happened to his wife and her career.

My Dad, very conservative, said, "Oh who cares about Valerie Plame. Boo hoo. She'll make millions off the civil suit and book deals."

Then I said, "Dad, what if it had happened to me? If somebody bloodied my good name and destroyed my career?"

He got really quiet, and the conversation ended there.

8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

This thinking that "perjury" is no big deal is wrong. Every dispute that is resolved in this country is based on the principle that perjury is punishable. You take away that penalty, or threat of penalty, and you have rule by force, economic or military.

Perjury is easy to say, much harder to prove. You have to prove, beyond a reasonable doubt, that the person who made the statement in question, knew it was wrong when he/she said it. Jurors take that question seriously. This was an easy case only because there was simply little defense offered when live testimony from Russert, Miller, etc. showed that Libby's version of the facts was ludicrous.

The jurors had a great deal of sympathy for Libby but convicted him anyways. That shows that they were an impartial panel, not just some puppets of Fitzgerald. Libby had a big gun and the best they could come up with was "I'm too busy to remember." Know, bear in mind, if that truly was his version, he would have said that in the grand jury testimony.

9. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

I'm surprised old_tony even knows Scooter was found guilty, since Fox News seems to be up to its old tricks . . .

[​IMG]

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Just figurs the liberal drive-by media would spin this to put more emphasis on the four guilty verdicts rather than the one acquittal.

Thank God Fox News has compassion and a sense of perspective.

Draft saved Draft deleted