1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Scoop's Great Interview with Hardaway: Whitlock wants to be interviewed

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Sportsbruh, Feb 23, 2007.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Thought you already had one of those jobs

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You are on the list slappy.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

which list?

4. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

According to the story, Scoop's been friends with Hardaway since they were kids. You can't expect him to stop being friends with someone because of his job. Doesn't seem like the right spot to attack his journalistic integrity.

I have friends that I grew up with that now coach teams I cover. I haven't stopped being friends with them and they know I'm going to cover their team the way I do any other.

5. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I know they've been friends for a long time, but just as we expect a judge to recuse himself when he has too intimate a connection to a case, perhaps so should Scoop remove himself from this topic. Otherwise it comes off as support for his buddy as opposed to legit journalism. I stand by my call on it.

6. There you guys go again, expecting actual journalism from Scoop. He is what he is -- a starfucker. Sadly, there always will be a place for that role in a column lineup. Especially at ESPN, where the first word is Entertainment.

If you're reading this Scoop, congratulations. You make more money in a year than many of us will in five. Good for you. Just don't ask us to afford you the same level of respect as someone such as Whitlock, who, whether or not you like his writing or personality, actually works for a living and makes a point from time to time.

7. Peytons place

Peytons place Member

I have to admit, I thought this peice was pretty well done. I wasn't a fan of his All-Star column because I personally found it boring, but I think he did a good job here, particularly in light of being good friends with Hardaway. He asked some tough questions and was able to reveal some insight into what Hardaway was thinking and the repercussions of voicing that. I thought (and still think) Hardaway is narrow-minded and bigoted, but I have to admit, I was impressed by this article and liked the dynamic of Scoop's personal involvement in this situation an how to address something of this magnitude when someone you care about is involved. Okay, I'll say it, I think this was pretty good.

8. the piece was good. unfortunately it was a week late. hardaway did a half-dozen followup interviews before catching up with his good friend.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

It's not his job to throw someone a life preserver. I pretty much glazed over after seeing that and figured there was nothing to see here.

10. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

This Scoop-Whitlock thread's been done 20 times over, hasn't it Sportsbruh?

11. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

yeah, but what profession is that worthless fuck in? sure ain't sports journalism.

12. f8andbethere

f8andbethere Member

I actually thought it was a decent article. He clearly layed out that he was friends with Hardaway. The whole life-preserver thing was a bit too much, but I didn't mind it. And the questions themselves were fairly tough, I thought. And Hardaway's answers, I thought, were genuinely insightful into how he thinks. I don't feel sorry for the guy after reading the article, but I do see the incident in a slightly different viewpoint now.

Draft saved Draft deleted