1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Scoop's Great Interview with Hardaway: Whitlock wants to be interviewed

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Sportsbruh, Feb 23, 2007.

1. Sportsbruh

Sportsbruh Member

Peep this: http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=jackson/070222

yeah, yeah, yeah, Hardaway is a scumbag - Yet, I was raised this same way in regards to gays.

'I don't have a hate bone in my body'

By Scoop Jackson
    Page 2

What do you do when you see your friend in the middle of the ocean drowning?

That's the question you have to ask yourself, especially when you are a journalist and the friend in question is Timmy Hardaway. Do you let him go under, saying, "He brought this on himself, there's nothing I can do." Do you look over your entire relationship with him and say, "That's not him. What he said is not the type of person he is." Do you try to see both sides, his and John Amaechi's? Especially since you have a relationship with Amaechi, too, having worked together on a television show back in 1998. Do you try to come to Tim's rescue? Do you distance yourself from him? Do you say, "I hate him because he said he hates a group of people."

Do you let him drown?

See, Timmy Hardaway and I grew up together, been tight for over 30 years, family linked through blood and love. So when the fallout unfolded after he said on Dan Le Batard's radio show that he hates gay people, I felt the right thing to do would be toss the man a life preserver. Know him or not, agree or disagree, black or white, gay or straight, it should never be in us to watch a man drown without doing something. Now what he does with the life preserver once it's thrown out there is an entirely different story. That is all on him.

To find the place between objectivity and spin control. That's where we found ourselves. He in Miami, me on the same block we grew up on in Chicago. A very honest conversation with Timmy Hardaway. One week after seeing him begin to drown.

While Scoop is busy Chasing down Playa's that are now haters and getting them to speak.

Jason is busy - hounding media outlets - begging to speak.

Peep his tagline:

If you'd like to schedule a radio or television interview with Jason,
    please email him at ballstate69@aol.com. Nobody's calling.

2. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

This is already a thread.

3. Sportsbruh

Sportsbruh Member

where?

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Yeah, Alma, I dare you to find a thread where whitepages here is extolling the virtues of Urkel Jackson over Whitlock.

I give you .02 seconds.

5. vin1284

vin1284 New Member

bruh, I did see that tagline and I thought, he was doin it just for the pub

6. Sportsbruh

Sportsbruh Member

You got it! NOBODY wants to be bothered.

btw: Do you get the suspicion that Scoop enjoys his job?

Whereas, so many sportsjournalist dont?

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Sure, why not? I'd love to be a glad hander and a sycophant. Just not many of those cushy jobs to go around.

8. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Posts about Suckup Jackson don't belong on the Journalism board.

9. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

the "what the hell" thread is about this very same interview.

10. Sportsbruh

Sportsbruh Member

Become a Republican - STAT!

11. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Doesn't journalistic integrity go out the window when you start becoming friends with the people about whom you're writing?

Or maybe you have to have that integrity to begin with before you can abandon it.

12. I don't know, alley.
    It's a tough line that actual journalists have to define for themselves.

Draft saved Draft deleted