1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Scoops civil response to Whitlock

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jeff_Rake, Oct 6, 2006.

1. "Hell, if you were doing Pardon the Interruption, The SportsReporters, Rome Is Burning, a weekly Blog, a noted Columnist, and countless other request for your time - would you have time for a BEEF? "

If I was doing a noted columnist, I would have so much trouble at home that I wouldn;t have time for countless other request, let alone a BEEF.
    You're writing with Mad-Libs, aren't you?

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Whitlock doesn't have time to attend the University of Phoenix...

3. Scoop fired? Nope.

For a year I asked ESPN to edit out Scoop's stupidity. Period. There's nothing wrong with being a bad sports columnist. That's harmless. We all write stupid sports-related stuff from time to time. Just last week, I stated the Redskins are better than the Chicago Bears. Stupid. Harmless. It happens.

Scoop wants to be much more than a consistently bad sports columnist. He fancies himself as a social commentator on racial issues. His poorly worded ramblings on these issues were/are offensive, irresponsible and completely dishonest. They are a bad Nat X impersonation. His riff on diversity in newspapers sent me over the top. The fact that ESPN has published his illogical, childish views on this topic twice is a crime against humanity.

Telling black kids they have a better chance of making it to the NBA than making it as a sportswriter is reprehensible. Beyond that, it is an obvious error in fact that should not be repeated/published in any serious media outlet. If Bill Simmons wrote that he went around the country telling black kids that, black sportswriters would be up in arms and demanding an apology from ESPN.

Instead, we tolerate Scoop's bojangling because his skin is dark. I don't.

Do I want Scoop fired? Nope. I want him contained to just being a really bad sportswriter. Those guys are harmless and plentiful....

4. If Bill Simmons wrote anything resembling that, I'd be totally amazed.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Bruh, for future reference...

Hip Hoper - a trendy person who is very optimistic.
    Hip-Hopper - Somebody who listens to and is influenced by hip-hop music.

6. Sportsbruh

Sportsbruh Member

http://www.bus.ucf.edu/sport/cgi-bin/site/sitew.cgi?page=/ides/index.htx

You can go here for the facts Scoop wrote in his column. Yet, instead of RESEARCHING for facts, you'd rather attack. You made this Campaign PERSONAL. You and the rest of these BROKE posters can keep the 'integrity' act. ESPN didn't FIRE you for standing up for YOUR integrity. ESPN FIRED you for PERSONAL ATTACKS - made public.

It's not about what Scoop wrote, It's how Scoop writes - that you got a problem with. You cant STAND the man. Period. Just say the obvious - and ANYTHING he write you will despise. There is something about Scoop that eats at your core.

Like I wrote above, you BLEW your ROCKSTAR existence to settle a little score. Now we are heading into the NBA SEASON. The area where SCOOP shines the most. The Ballers will be hoovering around Scoop because they LIKE him.

Nobody liked you.

7. Sportsbruh, I will humor you a second and ask you to refute a legitimate question:

Do young black kids actually have a better chance of becoming NBA players than sportswriters?

8. Sportsbruh

Sportsbruh Member

How bout I ask you the question

How many sports writers in this country are BLACK?

now

How many NBA Players are Black?

9. RWH, you can't reason with idiots. This dude thinks I'm in this to be a "rockstar" and that I'm somewhere crying because I'm not on ESPN.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

As has been pointed out, becoming a professional athlete is much, much more difficult than becoming a professional sports writer.

11. How many people are TRYING to become sportswriters? And how many are TRYING to become NBA players?
    If you set out to become a sportswriter at age 22, how quickly could you get a job anywhere, at a small paper or whatever? If you set out to become an NBA player, how quickly would you hook on with an NBA team?

(Yeah Jason I know this is a pointless endeavor. But so is my career.)

12. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I like how a person who can't even spell the word "STUPID" is trying to convince us of the stupidity of someone else. Have you finished your latest masterpiece yet, Scoop?

Draft saved Draft deleted