1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Scoops civil response to Whitlock

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jeff_Rake, Oct 6, 2006.

1. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

the underdog's what?

2. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Sportsbruh, you're only reinforcing Whitlock's point - he's not WILLING to 'bojangle' himself just so he can get an "ESPN - sized check;" that's the point. Scoop is content to play Nat X for the corporate suits in Bristol, J Whit is not. You can yell 'scoreboard' all you want, but when the current 'hip - hop - ization' of the culture fades, as all memes pass, Scoop will be back Bojangling on a corner somewhere. Whitlock will still have his integrity, and Scoop will be writing columns in marker on cardboard. The point: both integrity AND selling - out are forever. So go ye, Scoop, and go ye, Alan Grant, etc.: more stories solely focused on race - baiting await. Ralph Wiley was what he was because he could be both aware of race and not consumed by it. It's called maturity.

Don't get me wrong, J Whit has flaws in his writing (e.g., his puerile self - aggrandizing which he has carried from his "10 NFL Truths" ESPN page 2 column to his new AOL digs), but when he says something, you know he means it, and he has reflected on it. Scoop, conversely, just 'takes a side,' regardless of the facts, and runs with it (e.g., see his Page 2 column of about 6 months or so ago defending Dusty Baker). It's the difference between acting and reacting. Again, I'm not comparing Whitlock to Wiley, by any means. But if Wiley's the sun, Whitlock is A LOT closer to El Sol than Scoop's Pluto.

3. Sportsbruh

Sportsbruh Member

Last I checked Scoop has a Masters Degree and Jason Whitlock Doesn't!

Scoop is NO Bo jangle or Flava Flav. ESPN knew what it wanted when they Approached Scoop. NEWNESS. The same can be said for Screamin' A. Jason is about one of the MOST flawed writers and human beings you will ever encounter. Instead of jetting back and forth from Bristol, NY, DC, KC and penning his page 2 - he was ACTIVELY trying to get a Bruh FIRED!

WHY?

Hell, if you were doing Pardon the Interruption, The SportsReporters, Rome Is Burning, a weekly Blog, a noted Columnist, and countless other request for your time - would you have time for a BEEF? Jason could have took the Adult stance and ignored Scoop and went about his well-paid highly successful way. Yet for some reason the little man (Scoop) was soooo irritating he would rather lose ALL his gigs to prove his point. This is not about Scoop! This is about Jason trying to Silence someone he DON'T LIKE because Scoop had the tumidity to compare himself with Wiley.

That just STOOPID! I don't have a issue with Jason, he "had" a sweet delivery with words. Jason likes to say "that's just the way I am" well how come he couldn't let Scoop be the way he is. No, bruh man wanted to take a broom and sweep Scoop out of ESPN. Personally, I think the man is a Idiot to blow his gigs. This is not about ESPN - this is about Jason's BEEF with Scoop. (I've noticed that there are many people that got issues with ESPN, Who don't).

Scoop Wins and now Jason is on the outside looking at what the Big Boys at ESPN are doing along with the rest of em.

Serves him right.

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

You calling anyone an idiot is the most amusing thing I have ever read on this board.

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Something tells me he's being fairly compensated by AOL Sports. Plus, he kept his integrity.

Anyway, thanks for stopping by to chat, Scoop. Isn't it time to write another column about how we're all racists for booing (insert name of black athlete here)?

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

yup, took that public stand AFTER he was fired.

integrity firmly in tact.

jesus.

7. Intact is one word, genius. And why do you hate Whitlock so much? Did he assfuck your wife or something?

8. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I love how on this board if you dislike someone or their writing or their posting or their position it means you have a personal vendetta against that person. Maybe Tom Petty doesn't agree with Whitlock, what is wrong with that?

9. You must have missed the countless times Tom Petty has called Whitlock fat. It's personal with him.

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i'm surprised you don't know the answer to that.

what shocked me most was how you were "man" enough to give him a cat bath after the act was finished. the way you attacked your job with hunger, and the love of -- what most people would believe to be nasty fluids -- was impressive.

i know most people would laugh and point at someone who loves the taste of anus such as you, but my god man, after seeing your clean-up work in person, and while i still think it's a little gross, i have to take my hat off to you frank stallone. you clean up fluids after "assfucking" like a crackwhore on the "good end" of the pipe.

11. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Fair point. And our president went to Yale and Harvard. It's a good point, but that doesn't mean he writes better than the guy with just a B.A., or someone with no degree.

Ok. One thing you have to give JW credit for is being able to admit (at least some of) his mistakes, in his columns. He has copped to being the fool when he made some homemade sign dissing some QB (Bledsoe? Brady?) from the pressbox. Ridiculous, childish. But at least he said he f'd up (albeit some time later, and probably after he was reprimanded). I hope Scoop will get to this point, too, about some of what he has said and done.

I think a lot of this comes down to the "Ali vs Tiger" argument: i.e., does a successful minority public figure have a responsibility to be especially socially conscious, or is it "socially conscious" enough to be drawing a big paycheck from an institution which previously would have excluded him or her. I can't answer that, but that seems to be one of the issues here.

In that vein, it is particularly relevant that JW was trying to get a 'bruh' fired, because he believed Scoop was either retarding or reversing real gains made in 'traditional' journalism by black writers. Gains made by people like Ralph Wiley. If Scoop is the 'Flava (pun intended) of the month,' he probably thought, what's going to happen to people like him who don't want to be (or at least appear) to be 'bojangling?' And what is the effect on aspiring black writers? Do they have to write that way, too, to be accepted?

Scoop - like the rest of us writers - is entitled to his own voice, no question. And you're right, ESPN came to HIM, not vice versa. I can't tell you that I'd have turned them down, either. Because I wouldn't have. You follow? (Had to get a Scoop - ism in there) But you have to at least respect where JW is coming from, if he's sincere in his beliefs and stated reasons for his actions. ESPN IS influential, and people are going to read it. It does matter what is said there. At least that seems his opinion.

But it's a journey, right? Wiley started out a lot more narrow in his viewpoints than he ended up, kind of like pre- and post - Mecca Malcolm X and his altered take on whites. Maybe Scoop's closer to the beginning, and JW is a little further along. I just hope for the sake of himself and his readers, Scoop keeps walking that path toward where Wiley ended up.

12. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Again, I can't speak for JW. Maybe it is just personal. But if it isn't, then I feel he GAINS, not loses, respect for putting all his gigs on the line for what he believes is right (not 'bojangling.')

You might be right, SBruh: Access is a great thing. Sports Guy agrees with you, for sure. But IF it's just personal with Scoop, what about his clashes with (famous jerk) Lupica? That wasn't about Scoop. That was about another 'bruh,' Barry Bonds. So the argument falls apart a bit there.

I don't blame Scoop for feeling blindsided. I like reading both of these guys, for different reasons. But sometimes when I read Scoop, I feel what the makers of the "Grand Theft Auto" series must feel sometimes: 'Yeah, I have the right to make this over - the - top game, and people DO buy it, so there must be a demand, so why do I feel guilty for capitalizing on the lowest common denominators of violence, 'Gangsta' culture, and poor racial stereotypes?" That's how I read JW's take with Scoop. And I mostly agree with him. But people can change, and perhaps Scoop can keep his edge, 'keep it real,' and get a little more of that post - Mecca Malcolm X in him. Late.

Draft saved Draft deleted