1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Scoops civil response to Whitlock

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jeff_Rake, Oct 6, 2006.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Just waiting for the new wave techie kids, or one of them at least, to name their son or daughter Blogger.

2. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Stay classy, Scoop Diego.

3. Leo Mazzone

Leo Mazzone Member

I'm just glad "brah" made it into a column-- a la Paul Walker and Tyrese in 2Fast 2Furious.

4. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I'm just wondering what kind of introspection ensues when Scoop Jackson comes off looking more mature than you.

No response necessary ... tonight, I'm kind of proud to join Mr. Jackson in the list of people you don't respond to.

5. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

I know nothing of S. Jackson's background beyond what appears on his espn.com bio. I will say at least three things in defense of Jason Whitlock:
    1) He posts under his own name
    2) He earned his stripes in this business by working -- I believe -- for a PM. Having done that myself, I know that creates absurd work hours and no sense of personal peace.
    3) He played football and uses that to provide context and not microscopic analysis on things the layman will never care about . As far as I can tell, he resists the urge to delve into "Edge NFL Matchup" minutiae, which, as far as I'm concerned, fly completely over the heads of 90 percent of the audience.

6. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Except in this case, everyone's Kangol hat is underneath a Jeep Wrangler.

Can't this die now?

7. I am not Black. I have never been black, at least not to my knowledge. But this argument for some reason feels very personal.

Although I don't agree with how Whitlock dealt with the issue, I'm glad it was brought up. And, while Scoop's. Column. Was. Decent. I. Can't. Stand. Reading. All. Of. The. Periods.

My question is this - what comes next? What do you want to happen Whit? Do you want Scoop fired? Do you want him to cease his writing style? I just don't get the point of continuing this war...

8. I side with Whitlock because he's one of us: A newspaper guy. A journalist. Scoop is just another guy with a keyboard and an opinion. But he also seems to think that Whitlock has to make a choice between being black and being a journalist. He doesn't, and no one does.

9. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

I want to touch on a point a previous poster made: why did it take Scoop this long, and why did it take the subject of responding to Whitlock, for him to write with a semblance of clarity?

10. I think this more like a dance off between Justin Timberlake and Brittany Spears. Neither one was worth a damn, they both just wanted to sleep with each other and NO ONE ELSE GAVE A SHIT!

11. Herbert Anchovy

Herbert Anchovy Active Member

12. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I always felt like the Human Beat Box was unfairly maligned. Sadly, not even an early death could make him imortal.

Draft saved Draft deleted