1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Scoops civil response to Whitlock

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Jeff_Rake, Oct 6, 2006.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

jfs - please tell me you're not suggesting we should tell people how to write.

2. I was not a fan of Scoop's comparison to the NBA, but I don't think it's a stretch to say most young, black kids don't dream of being sports reporters, they dream of playing professional sports.

Obviously, it's more attainable to be a sports reporter. But since young, black kids never see sports reporters & editors -- this is where the poor numbers come into play -- then that just isn't a dream or ambition they will have. But I could just as easily say the same thing about doctors and lawyers.

Still, I don't think it's a good thing for Scoop to tell black youngsters the NBA is more attainable, although he did a much better job the second time around of explaining his rationale.

3. HoopsMcCann

HoopsMcCann Active Member

anybody else think scoop may have told them that so he could boost his own ego, saying he's better than some mid-level nba scrub, since it's so much more difficult for a young african-american to get where he is than to where stephen jackson is?

just a thought

an imbecile with an audience is a dangerous thing

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Wow, Scoop, maybe if you wrote like that in the first place people wouldn't think you are such a clown!

Draft saved Draft deleted