1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Scooped! SOB scooped 'cause we sat on the story

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Jun 21, 2007.

1. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Few wiser words have ever been spoken.

2. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Kick your publisher, not your dog. Please.

3. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

Rather than banning anonymous sources, how about banning unethical and cheating reporters? Then you have nothing to worry about with the rest of us.

4. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Because then I'd be out of a job. :D

5. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Last year, I interviewed for job, covering a major school. The EE, ME and SE asked me my thoughts on anonymous sourcing. I said that I believe that they are vital in important, breaking stories. I suggested if Big School's Basketball Coach had agreed to leave for another job and the story hadn't broke, then usage of anonymous sources is important in reporting the story.

The paper's management then said they had just passed a decree banning anonymous sourcing.

6. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Then I'd sue those bastards for entrapment. ;D

7. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I should have, since I didn't get the gig. ;)

8. Meat Loaf

Meat Loaf Guest

I wrote about a similar situation that popped up a few weeks ago. TV reported half-right facts based off anonymous (general manager of the station) source and rumors. They had no confirmation and got a half-assed quote from the AD. I held it, got three stories about of it with about half-a-dozen sources.

But, it's high school, so nobody really seemed to give a shit that we even mentioned it.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i'm not saying it shouldn't ever take place, but using an anonymous source should be a rare occurrence.

breeds lazy reporters and reads like shit when it comes to credibility.

10. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

Radio doesn't care. I had a PIO tell me the wrong information on a story about a man who had been killed in a car accident. He inverted the names of the man killed and the man who hit him. I was sick the next day, but was recording the news from home. I called my ops manager about it when I found out and he said to do a retraction in the evening news. The day after the retraction ran, my GM reamed me for doing it because we're never supposed to be wrong. My response, "I'm sorry, I killed the wrong man in my story (whether it was my fault or not). Don't you think his family would like to know I'm wrong since they called the station after the story ran thinking their son was dead?!?" He told me that I'd be fired if I ever admitted an error on air again.

11. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

Leaning close to outing there. Careful.

Suffice it to say she's on a major pro beat.

12. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

And she's a fucking stud.

Draft saved Draft deleted